Svart Hona x Buff Orpington...

The only way that either of those parents would throw a white chick is if they are carrying recessive white. And that would mean that the parents aren't as 'purebred' as you think they are.

Excuse me, some buff lines carry dominant white. (just now noticed Pyxis already covered this, my apologies for repeating)

Not entirely unreasonable for this chick to be a dominant white with the light down and feathers on what could have been a black downed chick.

by the way the chick is probably a pullet as orpingtons have a sex linked gene that makes their legs white. It also has a negative effect on black skin. In theory, cockerels would have either normal looking skin or nearly so with either really pale gray or patchy skin with the pullets being visibly darker but then the black skin expression varies so wildly nothing black or white could be said about it, ha...

Last edited:
all of them are beautiful but the NN is special!

Thanks! His name is Bowtie. Since this picture he's gotten some orange on his head and in his wing bows. And I mean orange - like bright orange, not rusty red or buff. His white father must have had quite the interesting set of colors underneath his dominant white.

[/IMG]

First chick stepped out from under broody today. Sorry about the picture quality. I'll get better ones when the hatch is over an I can get near them. These are all from a Svarthona roo over two Buff hens. Svart hen in the pictures is just the surrogate mom. I can definitely confirm that some Buffs carry dominant white.

So light yellow/white down (looks whiter in real life than in this picture) with very black chipmunk markings, black eyes and grey/green legs, grey/black beak. That leads me to believe that my buff hen must be: Dominant white (I/I), Columbian (Co/Co),Ginger (Db/Db), gold base (s+), and either roo or hen (or both?) has e+ under their E or e^Wh respectively.

Hope I got that right. Anyone else have additional thoughts?

Last edited:
Bad news. Another one hatched, but didn't make it. Found it outside the nest this morning. Either wandered out or the broody rejected it. :/

Same markings as the first, but with light colored legs instead of grey/green

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom