Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I've tried and no one has responded. Not sure if people around me don't know these breeds or what the problem is. What is a fair price? Maybe I have them listed to high or the word cockerel is getting people confused on Craigslist. LOL

Well it depends on if you are selling breeder birds or just want the roos out of the feed pan. I have so many chicks all the time and only keep a very very few roos to grow out that I am selling them at a few weeks old for $2 each.

These birds are about 12 weeks old. They've been displaying, wings down, beak to beak at times, and their combs look rather large for such young birds...to me. Also the tail feathers growing long. I'm figuring they must be roosters but these are my 1st Swedish Flowering Hens, so I wanted to get the opinion of those more familiar with the breed. Thanks.
Gorgeous coloring on both roosters. Where do you live? I'll buy them.

I had an incubator emergency (also known as fiance's kids sneaking down to candle the eggs in the middle of the night and leaving the incubator door ajar on day 19) Out of 50 eggs, 3 hatched, well, I would call it more of a c-section. At any rate, I was in such a panic, that I did not even look at the breed penciled onto the eggs. Out of the 3, 2 were my own Orpingtons, and the third was a "who knows". I syringe fed it for 3 days, keeping it and it's "stuff" wrapped in a wet washcloth in the incubator. Miracle of miracles, it survived. The only problem is, it was one of the rare breed eggs. I thought at first it was a barbanter, but as I looked through all the pictures of your beautiful birds, I am more leaning toward the crested swedish flower hen. Your thoughts? I am an Orpington girl through and through, I purchased the eggs and incubated them for someone else.

The second looks to have some blue. Dreamy!

That's "nubby" the one sans talons. The second and third, the third is red where the second one is blue. otherwise they all seem to have the brass colored hackles. The first one is very dark lots of black and dark bronze. His saddle feathers are all bronze. Fantastic looking roo. The hens. One of them is all white with "butterscotch" colored with just a touch of blue. The other hen...ill just have to take pics. She has an interesting pattern on her feathers with blue red and white. I wouldn't even know what to call the pattern.

I really like this breed. Self sufficient, curious, loyal. Clannish.

I had an incubator emergency (also known as fiance's kids sneaking down to candle the eggs in the middle of the night and leaving the incubator door ajar on day 19) Out of 50 eggs, 3 hatched, well, I would call it more of a c-section. At any rate, I was in such a panic, that I did not even look at the breed penciled onto the eggs. Out of the 3, 2 were my own Orpingtons, and the third was a "who knows". I syringe fed it for 3 days, keeping it and it's "stuff" wrapped in a wet washcloth in the incubator. Miracle of miracles, it survived. The only problem is, it was one of the rare breed eggs. I thought at first it was a barbanter, but as I looked through all the pictures of your beautiful birds, I am more leaning toward the crested swedish flower hen. Your thoughts? I am an Orpington girl through and through, I purchased the eggs and incubated them for someone else.

Not any SFH chick I have ever seen - not with those green legs. Keep looking - you will figure it out!

Quote:
Very cute chick and how luck s/he is to have such a dedicated owner. I would be in tears if I had an incubator emergency like that. Oh, and I think it looks like a Cream Brabanter.

nope. not an sfh with legs that color... shorter beak too than typical for sfh. more like a 'dotte's head/beak but yes, it loos like it'll be crested.

narrow down your list to dark legs, crest, and whatever the comb is, and it'll sort itself out soon, i'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom