Tea tree oil and eggs

DJTfarm

Hatching
Feb 16, 2017
I was wondering if I could use tea tree oil, diluted with other ingredients, to make a "baby wipe" to clean the eggs? Is it safe or necessary to clean that through? Thanks. Janet

I was wondering if I could use tea tree oil, diluted with other ingredients, to make a "baby wipe" to clean the eggs? Is it safe or necessary to clean that through? Thanks. Janet
For hatching or eating? For hatching no, because you want to leave the bloom on so best to just take a moist paper towel and get of the worst part or just leave. My ducks when they sit their own eggs are pretty dirty and still hatch.

For eating I wash under warm water right before cracking.

@DJTfarm

Last edited:
For selling. Tea tree oil maybe overkill on cleanliness. The wet paper towel as you mentioned maybe best.

For selling. Tea tree oil maybe overkill on cleanliness. The wet paper towel as you mentioned maybe best.
Even for selling you want to keep as much of the bloom as possible so even a dry paper towel just to knock off the worst that is what I do and then tell those who get my eggs to wash before using. But My customers are friends so I can get away with not having them sparkling clean. I have seen egg wash for sale.

Ok. Thanks
found this on line.

- Make sure the nest boxes are filled with clean straw/shavings/whatever your preferred material. Check and remove soiled material and droppings often.
- With the exception of broody hens, don't allow your birds to sleep in the nest boxes. Nest boxes are for laying eggs in and perches are for sleeping on. Make sure perches are placed higher than next boxes in the coop, to minimise temptation.
- Try to keep dirt and mud in the coop and run to a minimum. Hens with dirty feet visiting the nest boxes to lay will mess the boxes and any eggs already in there up quickly.

If, in spite of these precautions, you get a dirty egg and you really want/need to clean it, here are some tips: Washing the egg will take care of the dirt, but... it will also remove the natural, anti-bacterial coating on the shell, called the "bloom" making it more susceptible to bacteria and spoilage. So, if possible use a dry cleaning method, for example give the egg shell a light buff with an abrasive cleaning pad (keep a special pad in the kitchen for this purpose only). If the egg is too dirty, for example, if an egg broke in the nest box and the intact eggs have yolk and worse smeared all over them, wash the eggs under warm, running water. Cold water will cause the contents of the egg to shrink, creating a vacuum that will pull bacteria and other nasties into the egg through the porous egg shell. Warm water, on the other hand, will cause the contents to expand against the shell, preventing bacteria from entering. Do not soak eggs in the water and after washing store them in a cool place, preferably the fridge and use them before any unwashed, clean eggs. It is not necessary to use soap, bleach, vinegar or any cleaning materials when washing eggs. Warm water is enough.

Read more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/685869/do-you-wash-fresh-eggs-refrigerate-or-no

@DJTfarm

Tea tree oil is toxic to birds. Putting it on hatching eggs will probably kill it.

The best and safest way to clean your eggs is by using the organic vegetable spray you see in the market to clean your veggies. It's non-toxic and it safely cleans the eggs without ruining the bloom of the egg. Use with the white sponge and you have a healthy clean egg. (Never use tea tree oil with items you eat.)

Back
Top Bottom