TeaChick's Chicks

Sorry I'm behind. Classes started on Monday for me, so I've been trying to get them off to a good start, so I've been busy. I will be making more time for my BYC family though. ;-)
Additionally, I am just getting on today b/c we had a coyote pack in the woods right by our chicken coop last night about 3 am.
I'm laying awake in bed and suddenly, I hear this yipping-howling-barkingish type of racket and then DH tells me to grab his glasses and we're out in the back yard in our pajamas. He had me put his glasses on him. (I imagine that was a sight.) By the time we hit the front door the noise had stopped, but even at this point, we heard a little bit of walking around type sounds (like leaves underfoot in the woods) and far off dog sounds (not barking, but definitely canine). A little later, we heard the rooster and did it all over again (except he grabbed his glasses for himself and we both threw on our jackets). We have a young dog out back; she has a dog house and is safe back there (except for the newly arrived coyotes), so we put our older male (her sire) back there with her for the rest of the night. We heard a bark here and there from him and Eddie (our rooster) called to another rooster a time or two, but otherwise the rest of the night was quiet. So, we just got in from setting things up so that he's already back there with her and they both have water, etc.

Egg count was down to 4, then up to 5 a couple of days, I got 7 yesterday, and 5 today. I picked the right time to start saving to hatch!!! =D

No, the coyotes haven't gotten any of my chickens.
I kept them in the coop for their protection yesterday, but I let them out today.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
I got my SLW chickens yesterday!!!
wee.gif

D.gif
Marigold is my new SLW/BO pullet; I can expect her to start laying sometime between late-Feb and mid-Mar.
yippiechickie.gif
The larger cockerel has started crowing (and he's only 3.5 months old
ep.gif
); he will be my junior rooster, and his name will probably end up being "Buddy" b/c I told him that he will be Eddie's buddy when he gets out with the other chickens.
yippiechickie.gif
The smaller cockerel has not started crowing, and his name is "Dinner in March some time".
droolin.gif
We're all excited to try super fresh, organic chicken!!!

Egg count: 5 (three white)

Yesterday's (the 17th) egg count was 5 (one white).
Nothing much going on.
Well, we put sheet metal on the ground along the front and back of the coop, a pallet on one end, and a board on the other; we're hoping this at least makes it hard enough for coyotes to dig under there that we'll be able to get out there and get at least one of them.
So far so good.
Also, we haven't heard anything from or about them in our yard since the night they got us out of bed (Tuesday night), but a friend of mine who also has chickens said she saw three (probably) coyotes just in the woods of her property when she went out to feed her chickens Wed morning (dawn of the same night we saw them here). I hope it was the same ones and I hope they've moved on far away from both of us!!!

How's everybody doing?
What's going on with you all?

Back
Top Bottom