Teaching Ducks

I was wondering the other morning if anyone had taken a video of me opening the gate and racing down the path to turn around and redirect the flock as they pounded their little webbed feet, running toward the road.  

Lol that's too funny. I do the same thing in the morning so I can picture it perfectly lol

Lol that's too funny. I do the same thing in the morning so I can picture it perfectly lol
gig.gif

My ducklings are 3 and 2 weeks old now and I do have them outside when the weather is nice, but in a small fenced in area. Usually I give them a small cut off tub but since we had that great storm about 3 weeks ago, some of our property is (still) flooded and we were granted a big pond (until hotter weather I suspect) which I don't let them in right now.
I am trying to figure out too, how to be able to have them free range without going off into the woods OR (God forbid!) they run/walk onto the highway that's at the end of our driveway. That kinda scares me although I do wanna keep them more in the rear of the property, not towards the road, but as known, they do have a mind of their own.
barnie.gif

Anyways, if someone who has raised some ducklings before, has some hinters, instructions (you know, the step by step kinda ones, for our cuteness overloaded brains) or ideas on how to go about that without having to put a fence on the driveway, or even fence them in (which I really don't wanna do) it would be greatly appreciated!
bow.gif

My ducks *generally* stick around 3A... However, the last rain left a funky puddle right out by the road, that's where I found my flock. Plus they walk around and poop everywhere, that a serious source of stress for my family. A fence will give you peace of mind, plus keep them in areas where you want them, out of areas you don't. I'm "in process" of getting one together for here, you'd be wise to do same. Even if its just a short rock wall or even piles of branches. Or be prepared to walk around all day with them.

Little ducklings, I just have a roll of fencing (PVC) from TSC, that I roll and unroll for little ones and I move it about.

Last edited:
We have one mallard drake and 3 rouen females. We kept them caged for 6 months. Then we let them out for a few hours. Now we let them out all day and they put themselves to bed. Now the cage is a 8ft by 16ft open pen with a 8ft by 8ft. The mallard doesn't have his wings clipped and he has stayed with us for over a year. I even have his week old babies in my living room as I type. I live on 6 acres and they only go out on about 2.

That's kinda what I started doing bout 2 weeks ago when the weather actually decided to get springy and warm with sunshine. I took some leftover scrap fencing, kind twisted them together and try to have them out in the sunshine for a few hours when I can. They loudly protest when I collect them to bring them back inside in the evenings!

And since they still have their downs (besides Susie, she starts getting her white wings now) I am not too fond of putting them outside around the clock yet. Plus, I gotta finish their duck house first this weekend ;).

Yeah, so excited for them to be outside and roam and get out of the bunny cage I have them in right now.

I use the same disaplinary stick lol for all my ducks . It's a bright yellow plastic boat oar . I spend as much time possible with them . If I see them venture to far I grab the oar and walk behind them and steer them back in place . Now all I have to do is pick the oar up and they come right out of the weeds . I have everyone use the Same oar as well .

Back
Top Bottom