Technical coop building question.

Pics
Quote:
I dont have a table saw. I think its called a mitre saw?? you can cut straight or angles with it and its just sitting on my garage floor. The big problem is some of my lumber is so warped that its difficult.

I took a short video today. Ill try to post it not sure thats allowed. I didnt get much done at all. I went back to lowes to get almost everything else I needed like the metal roof panels, more plywood, the siding etc. I had to rent their truck again and I got there at 7:30am so I could get an early start on my day but someone had already rented the truck so I paid for everything and went home and they said they call me when the truck was back. Well, they didnt call until 1:00 so by the time I got all the supplies all unloaded and brought the truck back and came back home I lost daylight! But I just got called out of work for tomorrow so unexpected day off=one more day to build. Its going to be freezing tomorrow so we'll see.
Yay for unexpected day off, just when you needed one!
Post video on youtube then link here using insert video icon...not sure how if you're on mobile app tho.

@aart thanks Ill try it. You all can hear my thick boston accent
tongue.png
0.jpg

It is looking good. this is something you two can be proud of once it built. Then look forward to the addition next year cause this whole chicken things like a bad drug. At least I can get enough of it. lol

Scott

I've been told often that I have a real bad Boston accent. Well, I was born and raised here so of course I dont notice it. Even my kids point it out to me and they were born and raised here too.

So last night I went down to the garage and started working on my nest boxes and sure enough minutes after I started up the saw my DH came down. He still thinks I'm crazy and I think he's worried Ill hurt myself. Im happy he did come though it really was a two person job. They are not totally done because the piece for the roof was so badly warped we weighted it down in hopes to flatten it a little. One of my biggest challenges (besides the awful rock/stump foundation dig) is warped lumber! You would think when you screw pieces together they would straighten out but they don't. Thats part of the reason I went with all screws instead of an easier route with nail gun. Does anyone have any better way to deal with warped lumber? I bought all new to try to make my newbie carpenter life easier but I guess you get what you get at big hardware stores like Lowes.

Off to the Restore store to look for windows today and maybe some linoleum.

Also, thank you all for following along and for all the tremendous help you've been to me. I ordered my chicks last night so pressure is on! The only thing that will really mess me up is a monster snow storm. And now that I said it, it will probably happen :(

Warped roof material is plywood?
It should screw down ok......clamps can help hold it down until you get screws in.
Screws are good for a newbie, because way easier to get out if you have to re-do something.
I still use them 95% of the time.

Warped dimensional lumber (1x, 2x) is par for the course, especially at the big boxers, gotta sort thru it when buying.
Or use it in a way that will least affect the next steps.

I love an east coast accent!

That's NOT east coast! I'm from the east coast (Connecticut born and raised) and I do not talk like that.

I now live in the triangle formed when you draw lines on a map connecting Boston, Providence, Rhode Island and Worcester, Massachusetts. The people from those cities leave out letters from words and insert letters into words where they don't belong! But they all do it differently. Three distinct accents separated by a mere hour's drive.

I check all my lumber before I load it on my cart. Hold one end up and look down the length of it to see if it bows or curves. Then I put it on the floor to see if it lays flat on all sides. Your lumber will invariably have some crown (the curve up and down as you look down the narrow edge) but I try to pick pieces with as little crowning as possible. Anything that bows, twists, or crooks gets put back on the pile.

Since you are new to construction, you probably don't know that it is helpful to install all your boards with the crown the same direction. Then you won't have wavy looking walls, floors and roof. With the direction your studs are, it won't matter so much for your walls, but you might want to check that the rafters all crown up.

Back
Top Bottom