Tell me about owning goats

jlquick30

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
East Texas
Since I've decided that you guys know everything...
big_smile.png
Tell me a little about what's involved with owning goats?

We have 7.34 acres total - part of that is fenced off around our house as our actual yard - kids area, dogs area, etc. So no farm animals allowed. :0) We have our 10 hens in a converted stall of the barn and let them free range during the day - they have about 1/4 acre that is cross-fenced next to our yard.

So that leaves a good 6 acres free.... :) And the husband's uncle raises goats and is willing to give us basically whatever we want for free. There is a good 1-1 1/2 acres that is fenced off, that we could easily secure as a goat pen. It has a free-standing feed stall that could be a shelter, I think. And lots of kinds of grasses and plants that grow there, with tall trees for shade.

What would they require on a daily basis? What adaptations would the pen need?

I have had at least ten goats in the past and they were a breeze to take care of. I would go out before work and make sure their water tub was filled up. I feed them hay and a scoop of sweet feed almost every night. They like to climb so is there anything they can climb on? My goats used to climb on an old igloo dog house. You should keep at least two goats. A single goat will be lonely. Goats also need to be treated regularly for worms. Since our goats are in the same pasture as our horses they like the (horse's)salt block.

Hope this helps,
Shannon

IF a fence can't hold water, it won't hold a goat! Haha, just kidding, but they can be tough to fence, so I've found out. Mine are currently confined to a smaller dog run while I build a better fence.

But I would not trade them for the world! They are like dogs with hooves, I love my goats so much! They are so fun and friendly. One of mine is a bottle raised, and she is just as much of a sweetheart as my dam raised girl. My wether is a bit squirrely, but he wasn't given much human attention until I bought him. He likes being around people (they bring magical treats!) but he doesn't like being touched and petted. I am hoping with plenty of treats, positive reinforcement, and time, he will comes to be cool with being petted.

Care is pretty similar to most livestock. Good hay, clean water, and shelter are the basics. Goats need loose minerals (salt blocks aren't as good, and make sure it isn't prepared for goat and sheep, because it would not have enough copper) and baking soda available. Baking soda helps them regulate their rumen, mine lick it up as needed, just like the minerals. Unless a goat is growing, pregnant, or lactating, they don't really need grain, either. I give my wether a small handful each evening, because it trained him to put himself to bed in the stall at night.

Of course, there is so much more to know about goaties. But that is a bit of a basic look into goats.

I was always kicking around having goats/sheep. Have about 3 acres to spare. I have been picking the brain of a gentleman my husband works with. His wife raises goats. I am just exploring info to see if it is for me. Is there any good books out there to read?
If I get goats I was looking at the milk. Love to make soap. Could not raise for meat production.
As for sheep of course the wool. SIL is interested in Alpacas so I figure yarn all around, lol

We want goats too. We have friends that have 2, they are so darn cute! I'm still in the "researching to make sure I know what to expect" stage. I can't decide if I want bottle raised or mama raised, or if I want 2 doe's or a doe and a wether. Actually, I don't even know how many to start with. We have 9 acres with a good sized pole barn that's almost complete for all the farm critters. We want them mainly for clearing brush and family pets of coarse! Not for meat (unless we had no other option other then to either eat the goat or starve) and the milking thing sounds cool but timing isn't right for us to be milking anything at this point in our lives.
I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!

Nikki99 - That's what we want, too. Brush clearing and pets - definitely not for meat, and we just don't have time to do the milking thing. I don't know if I'm prepared to have boy + girl = babies, but I guess we could manage. Thanks for all the info, everyone!

Ours are a wee bit crazy. Loads of fun, lots of work keeping them fenced haha

What a great shot! Great example of the nature of goats! Mine used to have an old, very sturdy wooden picknick table to jump on. I had one doe that would get up there and just jump up and down on it before catapulting into the air.

So yes, they love toys, and they better be strong ones! If you have tree's on the property where they will be pastured they will also climb those if they can reach any lower limbs. I came home from work one evening to find three standard size Boer goats in the upper branches of the medium sized tree in their pasture.

Unless your milking, daily care is pretty simple, I just turn mine out in the pasture, rake their barn and fill the water buckets. In winter add feeding some grrass hay to the list. Trim their hooves as needed, some will need it once a month some less often. They need a loose mineral made specifically for goats.

As far as your pen you just need sturdy, goat proof fencing. I use the same kind as in Two Creeks Farm picture but my goats used to scratch themselves on it so I had to add a hot wire inside the fence to keep them off it.

Look into feeding requirements for breeding/milking animals versus pasture ornament types as well as feeding bucks or wether's. There are a few precautions to follow.

Overall they are easy enough to care for if you put a little attention to secure fencing. Nothing like stepping outside to find goats bouncing on top of your car!

lol.png
Yup, my fence looked the same way! They really get into it with all their weight don't they! Look's like yours are even walking between the fence and the posts huh?! Naughty, destructive little critters they are.

Back
Top Bottom