Texas BYC Cafe

Oh oh oh I LOVE that!!!!
I need that!! SO BAD lol

Umm somehow that posted before I was finished talking. RUDE
Laurie that chicken is too funny.
"RUDE" hahaha
Hey, that's MYYY chicken ;)
And she is a weirdo. So is my other BO...maybe it's the breed? Maybe they're quirky?
Lol. Ava is the one that follows me around like an puppy...non stop. My little feathery stalker.

I'm looking for a reliable source of pullets in the Austin/College Station area. Anyone know of a person that raises up babies and then sells them? My mom in Kansas has a Mennonite lady who does it but that is a long drive for 15 hens. Thanks!

Its beautiful!!!!!
I love it!

Mother in law took Ezra for a bit, so I had time to catch up on somecleaning AND..I went to the library! I found a great book :"The Field Guide to Chickens". It lists all the breeds and their characteristics. So excited to read it. Also got an encyclopedia of herbs and their uses. I really want to get my herb garden going, even if its just in pots! Lol
Thanks!
I have/had a book on herbs and their uses. I hope the one you got is better than the one I have/had.

Miss Eloise: 1
Brookshire: 0

Lisa :)
yuckyuck.gif

Love the cake Ms JB!! Look sooo yummy! (I'm having a sweet attack today
tongue2.gif
). Love the chicken family. I'm a chicken collector. I found a couple of neat chickens at the shop the other day when I was doing some "going through". I'll have to post a pic of them for you.

Chickens make me happy too Lisa! I like to just sit and watch them when I go out to check on them. I have a big cooler that lost it's lid. I flip it over and Jack (my dog) and I sit and watch them.

My herb garden is doing pretty good. There are a few that may not make it. My sage, basel, mint, rosemary and a few others are doing really well. I had to trim some today and I put them in the nests. Made the whole coop smell good.

I rearranged the feeder today. I moved it further away from the waterer. I have a fan set up outside the coop since it's been so hot, and they needed more room to get up close to it. I also put down another layer of patio block to raise it up a bit and to keep them from digging under it so bad.

Before:

After:

They have more room to congregate in front of the fan. They do like to get in front of the fan! lol

My garden is still putting out. Slow, but steady. We had fresh green beans and tomatoes with supper tonight. Plan on fixing some boiled okra this week. If I want a fall garden, I'm going to have to pull my okra to plant one.
Thanks! Neat idea on the on the fan. It's been so hot here too. Welcome to August in Texas.

I'm thinking I gained 10 lbs just looking at this!!!
I hope I don't gain 10 pounds eating it! They had a bunch and I sent a nice sized chunk home with Trevor. I may need to share with my neighbors.

Miss Jellybean you HAVE missed your calling! That is a beautiful cake.

Thanks! I love decorating cakes. :)

We had a nice day yesterday. Had a cookout and Trevor grilled bacon along with the other meat we had. YUM!

I went to Albertson's and got meat. They have a buy one get one, two, or three free sale on meat right now. Trevor bought some pork tenderloin buy one get three free and a beef roast. He spent $23 and saved $42. I got meat plus fruit and a few other things, spent $77 and saved $75. I like that!

My very own grill-master. :) He has come a long way in the past few years with his cooking abilities. I still get a lot of phone calls though. :)

Pics from yesterday. :)

I found this article on making a compost bin. I like the look of the bins. I had a neighbor with similar ones and they seemed to work well. I have pallets that I am going to use for starters and may upgrade to this idea in the future.

I also found this idea for a garden. I can't see using it for veggies, but herbs and flowers would work. Not sure where I could put this in my yard though....

Hey BYC'ers!

Hot here today. We didn't get any of the rain that was forecast. :( It did rain in Longview, while I was in the dentist office. Didn't help. Just made it hotter.

I like that compost bin Ms. JB. I'm wanting DH to help me build one. I'll probably just end up piling it on the ground. I remember when I was a kid, Daddy just made a good sized circle out of some field fencing for his compost bin. Worked good since it had a lot of air flow.

I'm still getting green beans and okra out of my little garden. I'm thinking about skipping a fall garden. My mom will be having surgery in a month or two, so I won't have as much time for gardening. I still need to get in my other beds along the run walls for next year. Just a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it.

Is anyone using pallets for compost bins? How is it working?

I decided the name I had picked out for my (hopefully getting) puppy is not the best name. A little hard to call and I am not liking it that much now. I have a list of new ideas. :)

Ridley
Kenzi
Beyla
Juneaux
Oaklee
Izzy
Jena
Anja
Reyna

Thoughts?

Her first name (the one I have to register with) needs to start with a 'z' and I chose Zandra. I may use that as her call name as well. I still need another name though to increase the likelihood of getting the registered name I want.

Brynn - Trevor came up with Freya for her. We were looking at Norse goddess names and it was in the list. :)

Is anyone using pallets for compost bins? How is it working?

I decided the name I had picked out for my (hopefully getting) puppy is not the best name. A little hard to call and I am not liking it that much now. I have a list of new ideas. :)

Ridley
Kenzi
Beyla
Juneaux
Oaklee
Izzy
Jena
Anja
Reyna

Thoughts?

Her first name (the one I have to register with) needs to start with a 'z' and I chose Zandra. I may use that as her call name as well. I still need another name though to increase the likelihood of getting the registered name I want.

Brynn - Trevor came up with Freya for her. We were looking at Norse goddess names and it was in the list. :)
I love the name Freya! lol
I just wish MY Freya had been a bit more...sweet.
I've already started thinking of names for the chicks.
I only have the Russian Orloffs named..lol

I like Juneaux and Beyla

Ok I need opinions!

I found a coop. She's asking $250.
It's 4'x3'.
I'm thinking I can take those "boxes" out and add another roost on that side?
Also, how is a dirt floor, specifically in winter? I planned on putting straw down.

I plan on using this to get them through the winter, then maybe expanding on it a bit and adding a wood floor and some height next Spring.

What does everything think?

The girls free range all day and we have virtually no predators since we've had them (January).

Miss Jellybean, go to the backdoor and yell for your dog. That will help you decide on the name. Puppies are being called constantly.
wink.png

Brookshire, there aren't any windows that I can see. You need air flow.

Back
Top Bottom