Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Chrysolinsbirds

Songster
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Merced county, CA
I've never started a hatchalong before but every one is welcome to join me =} ill be posting set dates as soon as i calculate them lol. But any sets due in November qre welcome along for the ride =]

1st one out.

I finally have some pictures of the brood(s). We are up to 8 chicken chicks out of 10 so far. These are all backyard mixes from some of the brown egg layers. (Olive and blue eggs are due Black Friday.)

A white chick with a black spot on its head. Very curious.

I think my Barred Rock slipped an egg into the mix. lol

The first 8 curled up together.

Different species twins. The smaller one is a white quail with a dark spot. The larger one is a chicken with a dark spot. lol, twins!

Apparently, eating is exhausting. This quail chick fell asleep "in" the food dish.

This quail chick didn't quite make it into the dish. Just getting there was hard work. lol

This little quail chick spent a good 5 minutes bobbing around in the food bowl trying desperately not to fall asleep. It was almost like a toddler in their high chair fighting sleep while still trying to eat. lol!

15 hatched and are fine and healthy. 5 pipped, but didn't make it out. Not seeing any movement for the last 12 hours from the last 16. Some of them (maybe all) might not have been fertile.

Not as many as I was hoping for, but way better than I was expecting for my first hatch.

Last edited:
all eggs are on lock down! so excited!

one egg has a 'bump' on the side...no clue if its a calcium deposit i never noticed or a pip

at the angle i cant tell, but that doesnt stop me from running down the stairs and looking every 5 minutes

who would have thought hatching eggs was such good exercise?

Update: 24 into lockdown. 17 hatched, not too bad
1f600.png
Last 2 got some assistance, so will keep an eye on them. 13 are in the brooder box.

Last edited:
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

My singleton Araucana hatched tonight while I was at work. It pipped this morning around 9am, and busted outta that shell by 6:50 pm. My husband gave up on this chick (day 22), we had the power outage when it was day 7-10, but it survived! Fuzzybutt now has a sibling!

Back
Top Bottom