The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 babies out for me and 5 more to go hopefully! Tomorrow is day 21 for the eggs remaining.
A8A5E28F-3424-4F96-8A1F-F3F4C8AF6DC5.jpeg

My first batch of chicks this year is hatching and I have a question. I have two eggs that it looks like the membrane is too dry. I am at school and so I don't have access to coconut oil to put on it would you just put a wet paper towel to keep it moist. Or should I just wait and see what happens. They pipped yesterday. The humidity in the incubator is at 80% right now. Both eggs are moving and making noises. I just don't want to have it get stuck and not get out of the egg. Thanks for any suggestions.

4/19
They hatched!! Out of the first 12 that I started with I have 8 that hatched and look great. I have 2 more that didn't hatch and I will leave them in but I don't think they will hatch.

Now on to the silkies that are due to hatch tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have 3 pips now yay! I’m glad I don’t have to make breathing holes for the early internal pippers. The other 4 I can’t tell if they are making noise yet or not.

Edited to add- I have 4 pips now
Don't ever make holes in the eggs.

Don't ever make holes in the eggs.

You can if they can’t make it out and you want alive chick.

I’m not against helping if they need help. Here’s my very healthy chick that was very badly positioned that couldn’t pip because it had a foot up and over /around its head. The only problem with it is the toe that wouldn’t straighten when I tried to tape it.

707CFABC-1FBD-4FD4-B821-B9DBF4925D11.jpeg

Last edited:
You can if they can’t make it out and you want alive chick.

I’m not against helping if they need help. Here’s my very healthy chick that was very badly positioned that couldn’t pip because it had a foot up and over /around its head. The only problem with it is the toe that wouldn’t straighten when I tried to tape it.

View attachment 1742564
I am talking about poking safety holes. Helping at the end is a different thing and is sometimes necessary.

Look at it like this: C sections rates are way to high in the US and usually not necessary and bad for both baby and mom. The more interventions before and during birth leads to the high rates.

It is similar with hatching chicks. The more you mess un necessarily with the eggs, the more likely there will be hatch problems.

Safety holes are not needed after internal pipping. It is some weird fad in hatching that needs to go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom