The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on first broody hen hatch.

Got 4 on Saturday (day 20) got 1 today (day 21). She still sitting on 3 eggs and I saw 2 pips when she got up to get water. Hopefully will have 2 more by morning.

Once this hatch is complete and giving the babies @24 hrs to rest, do you think it would be ok to give Mama Hen some of the babies I hatched a week ago? Just wondering.

Congrats on all the new chicks and ((hugs)) for the losses.

Here's is my Swedish Flower hen 4 weeks 3-day old chick in case any wanted to see. None were very cooperative for their pictures.

Attachments

• 20190421_212442.jpg
    20190421_212442.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190421_212449.jpg
    20190421_212449.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190421_212518.jpg
    20190421_212518.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 7
Happy, chick-filled Easter to everyone! :jumpy :D

Haha, well, actually I mean that my new kiddos look huge next to my 3-weekers. My older chicks are Old English Game Bantams, so they're eensy to begin with. Pretty sure a couple of my EHAL babies came out of the egg weighing more than those little bantams do now. :eek: These are some chunky babies!

View attachment 1746600

I love the chick on the left, with the grey feathering!!:love

Update on first broody hen hatch.

Got 4 on Saturday (day 20) got 1 today (day 21). She still sitting on 3 eggs and I saw 2 pips when she got up to get water. Hopefully will have 2 more by morning.

Once this hatch is complete and giving the babies @24 hrs to rest, do you think it would be ok to give Mama Hen some of the babies I hatched a week ago? Just wondering.

Congrats on all the new chicks and ((hugs)) for the losses.

Do this after dark Go out keep only one to go in first the others outside add the one leave stay to hear if you can but go back half and hour if it is under her give her two more and so on

I am absolutely devastated. I put our first four Nankin peeps in the brooder. My EcoGlo brooder plate needs a new cord, which has not yet arrived, so I had a heat lamp on them. The lamp apparently shifted and I have four dead peeps - it took all of about six minutes. My poor babies. This was our best hatch ever - seven, so far, and now this. It's almost enough to make me quit. Almost.
The latest update - NOT FINAL - is three Nankin peeps. Three, all hatched right after the horrible heat lamp accident that cost the little lives of the first four babies. It's currently resting two feet away from my older babies. Once this batch is outside, I'm trashing the beast. Never again.
Out of 25 eggs, we have three live, apparently healthy babies. Four eggs are either waiting another day (one in the 'bator with the three drying littles) or hidden under my broody. I think I hear peeps, there, but it may just be my hopeful imagination. It's hard to hear anything over Evie's screeching, broody growl. I swear she sounds like she's revving up an over-strained rocket engine ... and she weighs all of about 20 ounces! I'll keep checking - maybe I'll see a little head peeking out tomorrow. If not, and if my brooder plate cord doesn't get here by then, I may try putting these three babies under Evie and hoping for the best.
:fl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom