The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Looks like you have been picking blackberries!

I have never had a broody that wouldn't let me reach under and check eggs, I have had some that needed me to take it slow at first, but they have all eventually accepted me messing with them. Now, my boys won't go near the broodies, so I have to collect eggs myself when someone is on the nest.

Ouch! does not look like much fun.

I've never had a broody more than lightly peck me until this girl went broody. She is a exhibition quality Barred Rock. She is a fantastic mother, raised 2 clutches this year. So I'll deal with her overprotectiveness, but next time, I'm wearing leather gloves.

Not sure now if I'll be in or not. The girls have decided the weather is ridiculous and they will not be laying a single egg until it figures out what it wants to do. 70 to -15 overnight, harrumph. Wacky temp swings this winter.

Same here, but egg laying is ok. As long as the sun is shining, they're happy no matter the temps!

I think I may be the first BYCer to post from an XBox. This is a horribly slow way to post. The laptop is down for a while and I'm stuck with this.
barnie.gif

I think I may be the first BYCer to post from an XBox. This is a horribly slow way to post. The laptop is down for a while and I'm stuck with this.
barnie.gif
You may be the first lol but ive thought about it when I havent had access to my comp.

HELP!
WE are SEARCHING AND SEARCHING for HATCHING EGGS for a young member of BYC in the Prince Edward Island. New Foundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia areas. We are combining resources to get them hatching eggs! We keep coming up short!

SOMEONE HAS to be close enough to ship! Even mixed breeds are fine!

SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!
I'll see if I can locate anyone in that area from my Speckled Hen site.
You can easily do it. The humidity ranges for both do cross each other, for chickens the humidity should be somewhere between 50% to 65% and for duck eggs it should be 55% to 65%, But you would want to set the duck eggs before the chicken eggs. since Muscovy eggs require 35 day of incubation. I would set the Muscovy (35 day incubation) first then set the Welsh Harlequins (28 day incubation) 7 days after the Muscovy eggs and finally the chicken eggs (21 day incubation) 7 days after the WH. That way when it's time to increase the humidity at lock-down to 70% to 80% (day 18 or 19 most do 19 for chickens and day 32 for Muscovy ) all will be right. Takes a little coordination but can definitely be done. Good Luck and happy Hatching.
thumbsup.gif
Good to know. I don't usually keep my humidity quite that high though. I run humidity for chicken eggs at around 50% with an increase to 60-65% at hatch time. I will definitely stagger set dates.
if you run duck and or muscovy at that high of humidity during incubation it will drown them. yes you can get a few to hatch, but they NEED to loose moisture during incubation and should be done at 30% or less during setting, and 70% at lock down.
Thanks for the info COF!

Quote: OH dear--don't feed the snakes!! I like snakes, but not hatching eggs and baby chicks!!

Today we are T-31 days till set day for Chicken eggs. For those of you "serious" hatchers today is SET DAY for Emu eggs!!! Come on someone hatch an emu for us!

For our daily dose of Fun Chicken facts:

Did you know that scientific tests have proven that a broody hen communicates with her eggs during development, and based on those sounds is able to move the eggs under her for more or less heat as needed? Chicks who hear their mothers vocalisations understand them after they are born.
Hmmm, thenthey must know who I am when mine hatch, because I talk to my eggs!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom