The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
It home with the vitamins and the wry neck chick is perfect .... It seems to have more energy than any other! Both assisted chicks are perfect ( my little miracle babies)

See....?

The chick who spent the day in the cup is now walking around eating and drinking and staying upright. (See for yourself!)

I lost the silkie though
sad.png

Now If I could only figure out how to help this one that flops around on its tummy helicoptering its legs and using its wings to move.... Any ideas?
I had one like that. I took two orthodontic rubber bands and hooked them together, like little handcuffs. I put them around it's lower legs. She flipped and flopped for a while, but got used to it. Took about 4 days before I could take them off. You can use a cut lengthwise bandaid as well. You have to do it the first couple of days, however, for best results. Hope that helps.

I took out the sponge in the glass jar, and the other dig hydrometer dropped to 65%. I also have the Brinsea Spot Check, which I thought included a hydrometer, but realized it didn't once I got it in the mail. So, I guess I don't really have any reliable hydrometers.

Perform a salt test on it to ease you mind.

Bottle cap, salt, sealable plastic bag and your hygrometer.

Put salt in cap, add drops of water until it is a paste, not a slurry. Put hygrometer and cap in zip lock type bag and wait 4 hours. It should read 75% and what ever amount it is off is your correction/calibration. Mark that amount on tape then stick it to your hygrometer so you don't forget.

23 eggs locked down tonight and happily placed into their little egg cartons. Let the pacing, drinking and staring at the incubator begin! Luckily I have Friday off from work so I can really obsess over it.

wee.gif
wee.gif

Had 4 duds that I removed. A couple others are suspect, but I'm having trouble candling some of the darker eggs.

I should have taken pictures, we had our cochin Roo out in the yard earlier tonight letting our younger aussie Ellie practice herding. It was a pretty funny sight. I think we have us chicken herder in the making. We tried with our tom turkey over the weekend and well, that didn't work out so good. He had enough of it and when I made Ellie lay down Jasper decided to get her back, jumped on top of her and started stomping. I'm guessing Ellie won't be getting as close to him anymore.

All 18 eggs are in lockdown and look good. I did break the 19th one a week ago adjusting the bator:(. I think there are two chicken eggs under my Muscovies. I havnt candled those. The Muscovies hens, two of them are sitting on 18 eggs, due to hatch April 13 by my estimation.
We r hatch buddies. I am due on 13 too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom