The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chooks, glad you got a few anyway. Hope you find another miracle baby or two. :)

Congratulations to all of the winners!!

Final Count: Set 8 shipped eggs (3 Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons, 3 Coronation Sussex, 2 Swedish Hens) 6 made it to lock down (the 2 that were tossed had detached aircells). Of the 6 I was confident in 5 of them. 2 LCO hatched on Good Friday and Saturday recandled the iffy one and decided to pull it. Never developed....was a smaller egg like a pullet size so I'm assuming non-fertile. Left the last 3 in the bator til today and float tested them, candled and confirmed nothin alive. Eggtopsied and discovered one that died day 8 or so, 1 with an internal pip but never made an external and I wasn't able to see it because the egg was so full, and one died around day 18 and looked to be malpositioned. So my final count was 2 of 8 set, so 25% hatch rate. YUCK!

Oh well, this was our 2nd attempt at hatching and we actually had 2 successful chicks hatch and a good breed at that, whereas last attempt we had major humidity issues that caused death after lock down, so I consider this a success! I just wish I'd of seen the other lemon cuckoo orp's internal pip :-(

This has nothing to do with the Easter hatch, but I saw the coolest thing in my bator today!! I'll admit, I'm a newbie at this... The Easter hatch was only my 5th hatch and it was kind of disasterous. I have a bator full of eggs for some staggered hatching, the last of which are some duck eggs I put in on Thursday. Today was day 4, so I candled and saw... A HEARTBEAT!!!! Just way too cool!!!

A few new BBS COCHIN babies!

Sally, that top picture is SUPER CUTE!!!
I will have plenty of eggs when black betty is back in business! she is due to hatch her chickies tomorrow!!! she has 4 from the splash under her! I took her others, that's what I stuck in the bator for the hatchalong ... shhhhh don't tell her LOL

here is momma this am

Calendar says tomorrow is HATCH DAY!

But she isn't in lockdown silly girl!
lau.gif

I told her watch that humidity, she just bawked at me! swore she rolled her eyes!
She was up eating and pooping so fast I don't know what happened! LOL

images

and she wins 1st place in the Largest Broody poo contest!

We measured her width all splattered out on the nest 17.5 INCHES across!
I swear I could fit fifty plus eggs under that girl!

What breed is Black Betty? She has quite a spread. My biggest bird is Oprah, my black Orpington. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom