The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duckies are still hatching left and right! but Ak what is up with this guy?

I'm working and have my helper at home taking these pictures so I don't have specifics, but it seems to be a mass stuck to the top of his head - and it seems like it is attached.

Are they crested duck eggs? If crested to crested ducks are bred together, it can result in deformities to their skulls.
sad.png

Hey all! I'm not quite done yet. I have one that pipped last night around 7 that had made no progress this morning.

I set on 3/9 and still have several eggs that show no sign of internal pip or anything. When I candled, almost all of the egg is dark except for a few little parts below the air sac. What does this mean? Could they still be alive or are they dead? 3/4 Olive Eggers and 3/4 Wheaten Ameracaunas are all looking the same. (the 2 of those 8 hatched yesterday and Saturday night.

I am hoping they are still alive, but when I candled and didn't see an internal pip and some air space below the air sac, I got nervous... suggestions?
Sounds like a late quitter.
Duckies are still hatching left and right! but Ak what is up with this guy?

I'm working and have my helper at home taking these pictures so I don't have specifics, but it seems to be a mass stuck to the top of his head - and it seems like it is attached.

No idea. Maybe post in the duck or emergency section?

I'm done out of 13 eggs i wound up with 2 chicks. but they are super cute so i don't care- plus i have three more incubators full of chicks so plenty more on the way. i think it was a combo of a new young rooster, plus it being well under freezing while i was collecting eggs.
so to break it down:
13 eggs set
all but 5 clear by day 10
tossed 1 late quitter around lockdown
2 dead in shell :( today
2 live chicks yay

one on the left is the first one to hatch yesterday. one on the right was the one that hatched today- i had to assist him although he really probably could have come out yesterday as i kept pealing i noticed he was all absorbed and no veins or anything i think he just got lazy.

they both have 5 toes one of which i call "SUPER TOES" that stand up off the ground.

Crazy toes

and speaking of toes! this one will not leave the other chicks toes alone- he is constantly grabbing them, and not briefly either- he will drag the other one off his feet by a toe... he sometimes even grabs his own toes!! any suggestions?

and this is my sister "aoberkotters" one egg who is hatching from the small end of the egg. little assisting here and there but mostly letting him work his own way out. if he hatches successfully her count will be 5 eggs set, 4 clears at day 10, one chick hopefully to hatch but I will update when he is out for sure. I have to bug her to come back online and do her own updates lol

Last edited:
Just had another hatch Red Star mix hatch ... So for those who still have eggs left to hatch, I wouldn't give up hope yet!

I just went to TSC to see what they had (not that I was going to get any
smile.png
), and all they had were leghorns, tetra tints, cornish, brahmas & pekin ducks. No one has been buying them lately, so they have their wing tips and some tail feathers in already! The pekins were huge - I asked and they said they were 3 -4 weeks old; Other TSC stores will reduce the price to clearance them out, but not this one! I said on the way home, "I sure got the better deal when hatching out my own!" I love all the variety of colors I got, especially the chipmunk ones. I was surprised, though, that almost all the ones that came from Red Star eggs are yellow chicks, even if they have rose or pea combs, indicating they had a GLW or EE for a dad. But, if one of the RS chicks turns out to be a pullet, I might keep one and see what another cross with an EE roo would produce. I like the idea of having a hen that lays extra large green eggs every or every other day!

I've gotta download the couple thousand photos I've taken since Friday, and then I'll share the best ones!

There were some really funny entries for the Candid Picture of Your Flock Contest

We've narrowed it down to 10 Finalists and now it's time to vote for the winner!

The Prize for the winner:
6 Bantam White Rock and 6 Bantam Black Rock hatching eggs
Donated by mbmess2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom