The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took my chick outside to try and get a picture of him and he started eating, or at least trying to eat, EVERYTHING! I know this is normal for chicks, but he was messing with some grass so I cut off a piece that was 1/2 to 1 in long, thinking he wouldn’t really be able to swallow it, but he did! Will he be ok? I mean I know grass is fine for adult chickens, but he`s just a baby and that was a really big blade of grass. Should I give him some grit or something?

Just two more left to hatch, so should be done tomorrow. I candled then float tested those that hadn't even pipped and they were all dead :-( One was a beautiful big egg.

So I took my chick outside to try and get a picture of him and he started eating, or at least trying to eat, EVERYTHING! I know this is normal for chicks, but he was messing with some grass so I cut off a piece that was 1/2 to 1 in long, thinking he wouldn’t really be able to swallow it, but he did! Will he be ok? I mean I know grass is fine for adult chickens, but he`s just a baby and that was a really big blade of grass. Should I give him some grit or something?
The chick should be fine. Watch him to make sure the leaf did not get stuck.

Chick Grit or sand will not hurt him and may help grind up the grass leaf.

Right now, they are just is a room. My refrigerator gets pretty cold (things freeze near the back). I only have paper (cardboard?) cartons, but can probably get a styrofoam from a friend. What does the oxine do? Where do I buy it? If Listerine/water, how much to each?

I was thinking of just buying a cheap incubator to use as a hatcher.

Sorry for all the questions. I just really don't want to mess this up. My first hatch were just barnyard mix, but these eggs are more exotic breeds & I really want them to hatch.
Jump over to the Cinco de Mayo page and ask her. I was just cutting and pasting to help ya out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ayo-turkey-hatchathon-all-poultry-welcome/450

The chick should be fine. Watch him to make sure the leaf did not get stuck.

Chick Grit or sand will not hurt him and may help grind up the grass leaf.
OK, thanks.
smile.png
I figured he would be fine, but he`s the only chick that hatched this time and I`m kind of attached to him.

Quote: Yes they sell chicks at most shows. At Ohio National Poultry Show they had a traders row. They sell mostly chicks, chickens, chicken stuff. Some booths have chicken books and usually there are some raffles, (At my first show, I won a pair of Call ducks and a pair of bantam white AM's) Like some one else said, PACK A COOLER. Food concessions are expensive. Ask questions and talk to the breeders of the birds you keep. When the time comes closer on the Chicken Stocks, Shows and Meet ups forum, there will be a thread up for that show or you can do a search on it, I do believe Lucasville is a big show. Have fun

WE HAVE A SPLASH COCHIN CHICK AND NOTHING BUT CHIRPING AND A BIG HOLE FROM ONE OTHER!!!
GO BLACK BETTY!

she IS A mommy! A MOMMY!

singing.....
whoa, black betty (bam-A-lam)
whoa, black betty (bam-A-lam)
Black betty had a child (bam-A-lam)

Too cute!
Love this picture. You should enter it in the contest.
I can't - I'm not a US resident. There was only 1 contest I could enter.
I wet my clean steril finger and touch the membrane the wetness will let you see through the membrane and movement of your finger tip will tell you if there is a lot of fluid. Are they chirping or anything? if there are no pips and not shrink wrapped I would put them in since you have to go and just wait them out until later.
Doesn't matter - it died :( Somehow I manage to kill all 6 of my Muscovy eggs, 4 of which should have hatched as they were 'full-term'. The other 2 died sometime after the last candling. I'm totally bummed as that was the thing I was most excited about from this hatch and clearly it was an incubation issue. I also lost 1 duckling out of 6 (1 other was a rotten egg) and had 3 full-term chicken eggs also not hatch. I lost 11 eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom