The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never crank the bator up when you add new eggs. It returns to normal within an hour or so as the new eggs warm up. Otherwise, well, you found out what happens once temps restabilize.

Well, I was worried about where I was going to put all these chicks that I hatched for the Easter Hatch-a-Long, as well as the two fertility check hatches I had done prior to joining the HAL. I am pleased to report that within 3 weeks, ALL of them but two were sold off to people here in North Dakota (I kept two pullets for myself out of the hatches). I placed a local ad online, and man, was I hit up! I have orders for chicks for a good 8-10 people, now! Talk about getting my hatching addiction satisfied! They want mostly pullets, of course, so I decided that the cockerels that I hatch, I'm going to caponize for meat birds... and lo and behold, one of the people that bought from the HAL chicks, hit me up because he lost all his meat birds due to a predator that got into their pen. Told him what I plan to do with the cockerels in these next two hatches, and he said to put him down for a dozen!
yesss.gif

Well, I was worried about where I was going to put all these chicks that I hatched for the Easter Hatch-a-Long, as well as the two fertility check hatches I had done prior to joining the HAL. I am pleased to report that within 3 weeks, ALL of them but two were sold off to people here in North Dakota (I kept two pullets for myself out of the hatches). I placed a local ad online, and man, was I hit up! I have orders for chicks for a good 8-10 people, now! Talk about getting my hatching addiction satisfied! They want mostly pullets, of course, so I decided that the cockerels that I hatch, I'm going to caponize for meat birds... and lo and behold, one of the people that bought from the HAL chicks, hit me up because he lost all his meat birds due to a predator that got into their pen. Told him what I plan to do with the cockerels in these next two hatches, and he said to put him down for a dozen!
yesss.gif
Awh! I think I hatched out mostly boys to... But, Ima train them to be good brothers and be very good pets! They learn to so fast though... You sure are lucky to have so many people hitting you up! HATCH AWAY!!! BTW What did you hatch?

My neighbor gave me 2 duck eggs last night ( they said their fertile) my wife wants to try to hatch them. I've read that it takes 28 days for duck eggs and the temp is the same as chickens. What about humidity? Also read a little about misting the eggs any thoughts? Any help on the subject would be appreciated. I've hatched 2 sets of chicks but never a duck
Well from what i have read duck egg need 50%-60% humidity during incubation and 70%-80% during lock-down with a tamp drop to 97F https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation

My neighbor gave me 2 duck eggs last night ( they said their fertile) my wife wants to try to hatch them. I've read that it takes 28 days for duck eggs and the temp is the same as chickens. What about humidity? Also read a little about misting the eggs any thoughts? Any help on the subject would be appreciated. I've hatched 2 sets of chicks but never a duck

Well from what i have read duck egg need 50%-60% humidity during incubation and 70%-80% during lock-down with a tamp drop to 97F https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation

I hatch lots of ducks. Same humidity as wherever you hatch chickens until lockdown, then add 20% to lockdown humidity.
No one's humidity requirements are ever the same as anyone else's & even change for each person depending on local weather. You just have to find what works for you.

Last edited:
Awh! I think I hatched out mostly boys to... But, Ima train them to be good brothers and be very good pets! They learn to so fast though... You sure are lucky to have so many people hitting you up! HATCH AWAY!!! BTW What did you hatch?

I have barnyard mixes, mostly... from my breeds listed below, in my signature line. I have them listed in my online ad, and that the eggs are barnyard mixes from those breeds, but people here don't seem to care much... just as long as they're the majority of pullets. I have had some ask for specific breeds, so I'm working on getting those for them. One guy asked for three dozen Rhode Island Reds, and a dozen Ameraucanas. Wheeeee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom