The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh jealous, you have Ecoglow..and I love that blue peeking out! I wanted a blue from this hatch, will have to wait and see if I get one that goes into lock down come Wed.

I LOVE my eco-glow brooder. It uses so much less electricity......and I don't worry about catching the house on fire:) Love my little blues......I think I ended up with 3 blue coppers and 1 blue splash:)

Leslie

Broody hen, Anna, 4 year old Icelandic, with her 6 chicks, all Icelandics:

Have two other broodies....one with 2 chicks out and still on 6 eggs the nest.....other with no chicks out but still on the eggs.
fl.gif

wee.gif
CHick #2 hatched-- a blue Ameraucana! To go with DOm white , or maybe a splash chick--- waiting for #3 who has a external pip!!

Who can tell me the diff between a Dom white and a splash chick???????????? CHick is a pale yellow , solid colored. Splash? or Dom white??

Ron YOu out there? Or Sally?? ANy one??????????
No spots at all I'd say white.

So far one more out. Another Chocolate/Black bantam AM, so 2 and the 2 Black Mottled Japs. So the bantams are starting first. I see more pips and hoping I didn't mess them up to hatch. Nothing from any of the LF containers yet. I have a some Silkied AMs in there that I need out. Hoping this hatch is better than I've had in a while. I need to sell some chicks for feed money!

I never added my lockdown list, so here it is:

9 Silkied Ameraucan
5 Black Mottled Jap Bantams
10 Black oover Chocolate Bantam Ameraucana
4 White Silkies
3 American Game
5 Black over Lavender and Black over Chocolate split Bantam Ameraucana
8 Mixed ....Should be some OEs and EEs in there. Had a lot of blood rings and quiters and lots of infertile. Lots of first eggs in there though.

Thank you Sally Sunshine and BYC - I had to assist my marans - she pipped early yesterday morning, then could not get the shell away. I reached in a got off the little piece after 8 hours. She started zipping after that but 12 hours or so later only made 1/4 headway. Last night 9ish I zipped the shell for her because her foot was sticking out of the hole! You can see how she was in the first photo. An hour later she could not push out (my theory is that she could not use that foot/leg to push) so I got the rest of the shell off and some membrane. (Second and third photos). At that point I remembered to take pictures! After another hour of pushing she could not get out and she was getting sticky, so I cracked some more shell, put her back in the incubator, and she pushed herself the rest of the way out. (No photo of that, it happened quickly after I put her back in the incubator). I still had to remove the glued-on sticky membrane. I let her rest overnight in the incubator, and this morning was happy to see she is still alive! I think I'll have to wash her but I really wanted to let her recover her strength - she really fought hard to get out and I'm glad I had those articles to read from this group when to help her but not too much help!

Great job!

Phew! I'm caught up!

Congrats to everyone with babies!

For those of you that aren't finished hatching yet, we will still be here. Also, there are still contests that are open!

[COLOR=FF0066]I am not done yet. I have one chick under my broody with 4 eggs left. I hope that they hatch today, but I have clue. I can't look.[/COLOR] :he

Fingers crossed!
Finally, I have a pip! One of my Khaki Campbell eggs pipped overnight. I have a total of 9 in lockdown. My Bresse eggs are on day 23 1/2 and and still nothing! Last night I saw at least 3 wiggling but still no pips! No action at all on the Call ducks. My patience is on it's last leg! I would have candled the Bresse eggs this morning but now with the KC pipped, I won't open the bator. My temp is holding at 99.7 and humidity at 63%. Hurry up chickies and ducklings!

Yay! C'mon babies!

Thanks for the reply Happy Chooks!  I trimmed the little hanging bit off with scissors (it was dried out), and put chicken-safe Neosporin on the little red bump.  I'll keep an eye on her, but she's getting quite lively and I think she'll be just fine (heck, it could be a he!) :cd

In other news, I have my 3rd pip.  My first pip was on Friday, which was a little early, as I set Saturday at about 2:00pm.  I had one hatch Saturday at 5pm, one Sunday at 5am, this third pip happened Sunday at about 8am.  I am using a styro-bator, and have been monitoring things closely, but I think I may have erred on the cool side out of fear of baking the chicks.  I think maybe things were just a touch cool (maybe -1 degree), and it slowed my hatch down a little.  I am being patient and not messing with the eggs.  Every time one hatches, another starts peeping.  My fingers are corssed that the majority of the 12 eggs still in there are on their way out!  :fl  

Hope they get going soon. Yes, low temps will delay the hatch.

[COLOR=FF0066]OKAY!!! No eggs left that I know of. I pulled out a yellow/lav ish chick. I am going to get pictures this afternoon. But I might have 5!![/COLOR]

Awesome!

Our first try at incubation for an Easter hatch and all was going splendidly.My friend gave us 22 beautiful eggs, a mix of barred rock, Rhode Island Reds, and Black stars.  Of the 22 eggs 21 were fertilized..  Last saturday however, one of the kids friends messed with the incubator and turned temps up to 110!  So bummed, nothing hatching, we were holding out hope but I think we will have to try again and tape the knob down.  Instead, being the mom I am I went and bought my children some welsummer/maran chicks and some silkies.  I did not want tears on Easter, but I feel awful for all the little babies that didn't make it.  Praying everyone else is having a better hatch day/weekend

Im so sorry. Accidents happen. Please do try again.

Finally have a baby chick!!  Started with 12 eggs.  7 did not develop at all.  4 made it to lockdown.  1 hatched.  So I have one little Easter chick.  She is really cute though.  

Well, 1 is good. Any chance of another?
One of my chicks just hatched with no assistance and now she has this red bulge on her vent it looks like. She's quietly resting on her nest egg mates right now. Should I just leave her alone?

Probably I absorbed yolk sac. It should dry up and fall off.

THey will be here!!  98 vs 99.5-100 is a big developmental difference. Give them extra time-- can you up the temps to 100??

Did I mention it was still air. I've for my hatcher at 99-100 and they are in there. All 9 are alive and moving just not taking up much shell. I posted a pic of one from last night. I'm trying to get the video to show up.

Still air temps are supposed to be 101.5.

:weee CHick #2 hatched-- a blue Ameraucana!  To go with DOm white , or maybe a splash chick--- waiting for #3 who has a external pip!!

Who can tell me the diff between a Dom white and a splash chick???????????? CHick is a pale yellow , solid colored.  Splash? or Dom white??

Ron YOu out there?  Or Sally?? ANy one??????????

Splash chicks will have random black dots on them. They can be very obvious or very subtle. White chicks will not.

Montana dolphin - once the veins recede, you can use a warm, wet washcloth and very gently peel the shell from the pip. If you get blood at any time, STOP and put it back in the incubator and wait. It's a very slow process.

My current update is of 15 at lock down 10 have hatched and one currently zipping! Still hoping to see the others do something! My last hatch, I had one hatch on the 25th day so my fingers are crossed since it's only the 22nd day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom