The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!!! Please, one of my chicks that had hatched had splayed legs. I put splints (band-aids) on it right after it hatched. I took the splints off and the little legs are no better. Is there anything else I can do for it or should I just cull it? It gets around some but not near as good as the others.. Is there any hope?

You need to leave the splints on for several days at least.  I normally leave them on until they fall off. (about a week)  Hobble the chick again.

Ok, I was worried that I left the splints on too long at first. Then I saw that it's legs were no better. I sure hope it can be fixed. It was the last chick to hatch. Go figure....:rolleyes:

Terrible just terrible.  STarted with 24 eggs.  11 at lockdown, 5 hatched,   died.  Left with 3 and 1 of them concerns me.  I am so depressed over this whole affair.  Seems like when I just started my first and second hatches everything was super fast and good. Got over 70% hatch rates.... This time I have like a 95% loss.  Just sad sad sad....  We had a temp spike one day, don't know if someone played with the settings or what but I had hopes.... Then the power outage from H#$%....  and when I got home from work the temps were at 66 degrees!  I got everything back up and good.  On lockdown those 11 were all wiggling and moving around.  Looking good.... Then this....  I just sat there and cried when I was candling them again, wondering what happened....  The 2 that died, 1 had the yolk sac dangling out and I tried to keep him/her secluded from the others and confined so as not to pull anything.  But when she cheeped it looked like that sac got bigger and bigger.  Then another one just keeled over in front of me and died.  No cheep, no spasm, nothing.  I checked it all over and could find nothing wrong with it....  I have one more that has a bit of sac still hanging, but it's dried and hard... But, I TERRIFIED of hurting it but trying to snip it off....  What if it's not quite dried all the way inside and I snip it and he/she bleeds to death?  Now the guy up the road that was wanting all these chicks said that since I only have 2 or 3 to give him, he'd like to wait until I have more to supply him with so he's passing on these 3....  I feel bad since they were for someone else, not me.  ....  ...   Oh the joys and sorrows of hatching babies.... 

:hit   :tongue   :he   :fl

I'm so sorry I understand completely I had spent well over $400 dollars to have 168 eggs shipped to me to have all going well them blah nuttin
1f61e.png

Ok, there's the saying that unless there's pics, there's no chicks. So, here's my proof of my 23 chicks that hatched out of the 28 that locked down. All are healthy, and moving around well, eating, lively bunch. However, the last one that hatched yesterday (late Day 22, technically) is starting to show signs of going downhill. She was over a day later than everyone else. I've got her in a little Tupperware container, with a washcloth, up closer to the heat lamp, thinking maybe she was a bit on the cool side. She's sleeping, and every once in a while pops her head up and looks around, then goes right back to sleep. Hoping she makes it, but if she doesn't... can't say I didn't try everything. Sav-a-Chik, food, no pasty butt (yet)... she's in the last pic. The other single chick is a White Jersey Giant/Ameraucana cross... came out with a very pretty mottled gray color, and you can see the white wing tips already. White Jersey Giant chicks are grey in color in their down, then get the white in their feathers.

Last edited:
There is supposed to be a spot that is 95 degrees where the chicks can warm up in. The rest of the brooder is a bit cooler so that they can move from the cool to the warm if need be. It sounds like yours was too cold, which can happen if they get wet.

Get a thremometer and make sure the temperature is correct. You can also observe them to see how they are behaving. Huddled up is too cold, separated and scattered around the brooder is too hot.

You will need to watch this one, it may develop pasty butt if it was cold.
the area by the heat lamp was dry and temp was at 94. I was able to get him to take some fluids. He was toasty when I picked him up. I was watching
Him and hr started what looked like seizures. I picked him and held him. He passed very quickly. :(

the area by the heat lamp was dry and temp was at 94. I was able to get him to take some fluids. He was toasty when I picked him up. I was watching
Him and hr started what looked like seizures. I picked him and held him. He passed very quickly.
sad.png
hugs.gif
Sometimes their organs do not start up correctly and when the yolk is gone after 3 days they will pass like that.

It is sad but happens sometimes even with hatch chicks.

Give him another month. The really start to shine then.

Post a picture!

I was wrong about his age, he is just coming up on 5 months. I had to go look on the calender once I posted that. Dec. 11th is when he hatched. That's his best friend right now. They were in the same brooder together, then grow out coop for the winter. :)

I hope he gets prettier! Ha, so funny to watch him run. I swear, that pullet has been checking out the nesting boxes. Wouldn't be surprised if she lays in the next couple of weeks.

This Edible Easter Contest was the toughest contest to judge so far. So many amazing entries, and we had a very difficult time narrowing this one down. I am not a creative person, so you all have exceeded my expectations of this contest!

We looked at creativity, use of materials, as well as the final look of the Edible Designs to judge the winning entries.

1st Place goes to:

madicakes
500x1000px-LL-cbb4c1b1_EasterCupcakes.jpeg

2nd Place goes to:

chiklee
350x700px-LL-c91bfc6b_024.jpeg

And 3rd Place goes to:

LadyCluck77
LL

Congratulations to the winners and Thank You to everyone that participated!

CONGRATULATIONS! Now that's talent.

I was wrong about his age, he is just coming up on 5 months. I had to go look on the calender once I posted that. Dec. 11th is when he hatched. That's his best friend right now. They were in the same brooder together, then grow out coop for the winter. :)

I hope he gets prettier! Ha, so funny to watch him run. I swear, that pullet has been checking out the nesting boxes. Wouldn't be surprised if she lays in the next couple of weeks.
They will even out in color over the next couple of months. It is amazing how much better they look then.

I do not remember where you got them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom