The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still one duck due any time...that is the good news. I had another silkie die today not sure why ,no pasty butt ..nursing 2 FBCM that seem ill also. Normal poo correct brooder temp. I separated the FBCM's back in the incubator I use as a hatcher giving sugar water and electrolyte's..my little poult has buddies the poult doesn't quite have good balance yet so I give it drinks etc but have just left it to grow stronger..the FBCM's settled down in a little basket. ,I hatch in ,lined with a kitchen towel... my chick ICU..as I call it..supplements every 2 hours until they recover.

Silkie..the brown egg has hatched.  It is black with a white dot on it's head.  You must have barred rocks..or..it could be a black sexlink?   3 others are pipped.  The white one is starting to pip down the middle of the egg..hmmmm....

Yes, some will be barred. I have a roo & a hen both carrying barring, but all seem to get the headspot & hen coloring. So far, I've had to watch combs to tell male from female because all are single barred. Not sure why???

@ShelbyCoral
& @SilkieSensation
... I didnt realize you both were so close to me!!! :woot

@SilkieSensation
I may have to PM you about getting a couple silkies to add to my project. Right now I only have one and I really am thinking of expanding.

I have about 7 spare roos if you need a couple. I'm on the verge of sending them to freezer camp with the broilers.

I have three babies out now.  More pips..some are in what seems to be the wrong area..will have to watch those little beaks in there, and make sure they are still moving..and peeping.  I can't believe I am getting chicks from these eggs.  They were fertile, gathered in a timely manner, sent in a timely manner, or this wouldn't have been happening.  I would never have guessed that I would even get three out of them after how long they were out there.  :jumpy

Yay!

Final numbers
2 welsh harlequin ducklings (11 eggs set)
9 mixed heritage turkey poults (13 eggs set)

FYI ducks should not be turkey tutors, the poults are following the ducklings into the water dish and take FOREVER to dry.

Turkey poults do NOT swim well. Much better to use chicks or keets as tutors.

I have 10 babies!   Still waiting on a few, not sure about them, but the air sacs look not too bad on those.  Little brown one..and one blue one. 

Go chickies!

I have 12 babies.   :)    What?!  

That's my babies!

I have 15 babies!  And I do believe we are done.  My goodness, strong little ones too.  Glad I set those eggs.  I have some pretty little babies. 

I hope you got a couple blue chicks in the mix!

Set 19, hatched 7, one killed by a cat. So I have 6 healthy ducklings. They are Welsh Harlequin ducklings.

Last edited:

I have 15 babies!  And I do believe we are done.  My goodness, strong little ones too.  Glad I set those eggs.  I have some pretty little babies. 

That's wonderful!

Is that 15 from the eggs that were lost in the mail, or 15 total for the hatch a long? Thank you.

She got 15 from the ones from me that were lost in the mail. She had a better hatch rate on my eggs than I did!!!

Just wanted to share this because my big butt RIR moving at "warp speed", almost plowing into my legs after these things was HILARIOUS!!!

So I had a bit of a bug problem when I moved some logs out of the new coop area to build the runs..... so I set a chicken loose on them... she found more than worms, grubs, and bugs.... SHE ATE 3 SALAMANDERS!!!!

I also need to keep an eye on her crop to make sure it empties right because it was stuffed when I finally was able to pull her out of the salamander nest.
But on the upside, she got AMAZING protein intake today!

Oh yes, they love reptiles. And voles/moles. Mine happen to love snakes. Speaking of snakes...haven't seen one in a while...
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom