The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of the eggs I received were cracked during shipment. I went ahead and used liquid bandaid over the entire cracked areas. Has anyone hatched cracked eggs before? Is there anything I need to watch for or do? These are them as of today - day 5.
I had a silkie egg that had gotten cracked during shipping. Sealed it up with nail polish and 3 weeks later I had a white silkie chick. :) I have another cracked egg in the bator thats on day 10 and doing well. Good luck with yours!

Eggs under my broody are hatching!!!
fl.gif
First broody to hatch anything in my coop!!!

Two of the eggs I received were cracked during shipment.

I went ahead and used liquid bandaid over the entire cracked areas.

Has anyone hatched cracked eggs before? Is there anything I need to watch for or do?

These are them as of today - day 5.
You have done all you can for them - now it's up to them.

Learning how to drink!
I don't mean to pick apart your setup, but some advise. That water dish is awfully big. Chicks can fall in and drown easily. I'd put a much smaller dish in with some rocks in it. And put some paper towels down on the bottom too. Cardboard is slick and can cause leg issues.

Quote:
I don't mean to pick apart your setup, but some advise. That water dish is awfully big. Chicks can fall in and drown easily. I'd put a much smaller dish in with some rocks in it. And put some paper towels down on the bottom too. Cardboard is slick and can cause leg issues.
I use a chick water fountain with a quail bottom. The cannot drown in it.

I don't know what to do. I have a chick with sprddle leg. And i did the bandiad thing but the chicks leg also looks twisted and it still can't get around. It is dragging its legs and scraping them up. Any suggestions??

Our very first chicks hatching...

number two...
Number three is pushing out of the shell, right now, just one left under this broodie, four more to follow, under an Silkie hen, in about two days....little excited here ; )

Two of the eggs I received were cracked during shipment.

I went ahead and used liquid bandaid over the entire cracked areas.

Has anyone hatched cracked eggs before? Is there anything I need to watch for or do?

These are them as of today - day 5.

JD, I don't think it sealed properly. That is a huge air cell for day 5. If it makes it all of the way, the air cell is going to be enormous and the chick will shrink wrap. Just my opinion, but I've done it before and wished I hadn't.

I don't know what to do. I have a chick with sprddle leg. And i did the bandiad thing but the chicks leg also looks twisted and it still can't get around. It is dragging its legs and scraping them up. Any suggestions??

I don't have any experience with spraddle leg but try posting in the emergencies forum. Maybe someone there could help. If she's dragging her legs, possibly some vitamins could help along with the bandaid brace but like I said, see if you can get advice from someone with more experience. Crossing my fingers for you and the little peeper!

Thank you for the help with the cracked eggs. The eggs were free, so I don't want to ask for replacements. I put the liquid bandaid on directly after opening the box. And I plan on photographing every other day for comparison. I thought the air cell on the first one was a little big also, but it is a very long egg...so I will definitely watch it. The second one's air cell is just positioned more on the cracked area, it was a trick to the eye on how I was holding it with the light. But I am going to mark the air cells for growth. Again thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom