The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Sounds like your boys will be happy.
smile.png
I really regret selling that particular boy. He was the friendliest chicken I've ever had. The family that bought him said he would have some silkie girls to hang with but he'll have to compete with a couple younger roo's. They don't keep their birds in cages though so he'll be free range...I know he'll be happy but we have A LOT of predators around here.
sad.png

edit to add: My avatar is the Sizzle boy.

Last edited:
So how old are the Easter chicks now? However old they are, my 3 bantam cochin roosters need homes already! I put them on the local for sale site a few weeks back for free and still nothing! Love them, very fun sassy little guys but they need hens their own size. LOL

So how old are the Easter chicks now? However old they are, my 3 bantam cochin roosters need homes already! I put them on the local for sale site a few weeks back for free and still nothing! Love them, very fun sassy little guys but they need hens their own size. LOL 

They are just over nine weeks now.
When are roosters usually able to.... Um, fertilize a hen? My guys haven't tried yet, but I'd like to have an idea of when they might.

They are just over nine weeks now.
When are roosters usually able to.... Um, fertilize a hen? My guys haven't tried yet, but I'd like to have an idea of when they might.
Depends on how quickly they mature. As young as 14 weeks, up to 8 or 9 months. Generally, the cockerels mature a bit faster than the pullets. When they are ready to mate, the pullets usually are not ready. And an older hen will not usually let a young cockerel mate her. He is beneath her in pecking order, so he'll have to work really hard.

Last edited:
Depends on how quickly they mature.  As young as 14 weeks, up to 8 or 9 months.  Generally, the cockerels mature a bit faster than the pullets.  When they are ready to mate, the pullets usually are not ready.  And an older hen will not usually let a young cockerel mate her.  He is beneath her in pecking order, so he'll have to work really hard.

Thank you! I have a leghorn free-ranging with his mother. He doesn't seem interested in that at all yet, which is great. She is at the very top of the pecking order anyhow, and barely let the other rooster near her.

My 3 Black Cochin Bantam Roosters from the incubator from hell got a new home this week and the eggs I won in one of the contests during the hatch-along are on their way to me! I ordered a normal incubator that will be here today and hopefully I have enough time to set it up and test everything and get temp stable before adding eggs. So excited!

My 3 Black Cochin Bantam Roosters from the incubator from hell got a new home this week and the eggs I won in one of the contests during the hatch-along are on their way to me! I ordered a normal incubator that will be here today and hopefully I have enough time to set it up and test everything and get temp stable before adding eggs. So excited!
pop.gif
What incubator did you get?

What eggs will you be hatching?

I think I have already said this, but 6 out of 9 of my shipped red golden pheasant eggs hatched a couple weeks ago and are doing awesomely! now I have 15 lady amherst pheasant eggs in the bator, and 14 of them are growing, not bad for shipped eggs : ) I haven't stopped incubating eggs since the before the hatch along!!! I can't stop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom