The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please count me in! I am going to try to hatch some black/blue/splash copper marans and Olive eggers. And I have a genetics question
wink.png

If I have a wheaton-like easter egger rooster in the pen with my blue copper marans rooster and a few blue and splash hens- is it safe to say all of the splash chicks would have to be full marans? Also, all of my olive eggers will have beards and muffs right? I just don't want to mix up my chicks and thought I could get around using breed cages.
Splash can only happen from a splash/splash or blue/splash mating. Now with that said, since EE's are mixes, it's difficult to know what they are contributing genetics wise. And no, not all olive eggers will have beards. First generation usually does, but after that, you can have clean faced olive eggers. Here is one of mine. She has a modified pea comb, but no beard.:

Please count me in! I am going to try to hatch some black/blue/splash copper marans and Olive eggers. And I have a genetics question ;)

If I have a wheaton-like easter egger rooster in the pen with my blue copper marans rooster and a few blue and splash hens- is it safe to say all of the splash chicks would have to be full marans? Also, all of my olive eggers will have beards and muffs right? I just don't want to mix up my chicks and thought I could get around using breed cages.

Sorry, but gotta agree with the others, you need to separate to guarantee pures. I have a bearded and muffed hen and roo EE and every 4th chick hatched from them comes out clean faced. There are never any guarantees with EE's cuz they do not breed true so you'll never know what you might get. That is one of the reasons they are so popular with many, they are always surprises, lol. :)

Splash can only happen from a splash/splash or blue/splash mating. Now with that said, since EE's are mixes, it's difficult to know what they are contributing genetics wise. And no, not all olive eggers will have beards. First generation usually does, but after that, you can have clean faced olive eggers. Here is one of mine. She has a modified pea comb, but no beard.:
Gorgeous hen, HC!!!

Just a few more weeks and I'll be setting a bunch of eggs!
The suspense is honestly killing me :)
After not having chickens since June of last year I'm very excited.
We are in the process of tearing down our gazebo and old coop (the ones in my avatar photo) and will be building a bigger coop for close to 70 New Hanpshire Reds!
This one will definitely NOT be a tractor :)
However, we won't be getting them until the spring of 2016 as we won't have the coop finished in time to get them this spring. :(
But we are planning on finishing some Cornish Rocks until then so our coop won't be barren for too long a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom