The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today is day 19 for us. Went into lock-down yesterday. No signs of chicks hatching yet. Can you see movement if your eggs are hatching in egg cartons? When do they start to cheep? I am really scared that our lose wire temperature spike did them in
th.gif
Wish me luck!

I went to our local TSC and they had Blue Andalusian chicks for $1.99 ea. and I soooo wanted to get some, but the hubby gave me "the look" so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how ours hatch. Foo!
roll.png
Oh those are pretty. I had some last year, or was it the year before? But the combs were too fragile for my winters so I sold them.

Don't know about egg cartons but my first cheep happened after the little guy hatched!

@venymae same thing happened to me at the feed store yesterday...but it was with turkey poults, EEs, and buff orpingtons
roll.png

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Yeah. I see what you mean, the article says to use the plug to plug the incubator. I think that is bad advice but I'm not the one to change the article. Maybe a moderator should look into that.[/QUOTE]
Well he does only plug one of the holes, leaves the other open. DH says it depends on the air exchange rate, and I wonder if he used a foam incubator WITH a fan rather than without one? I'd say that would make a big difference. I have a fan, does yours?

Someone asked about hatch rate. I believe It is a calculation of the total eggs hatched divided by the total eggs set.
The best hatch rate in this contest will be just that (that is why we have to disclose how many we sett followed by how many hatched).
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Well he does only plug one of the holes, leaves the other open. DH says it depends on the air exchange rate, and I wonder if he used a foam incubator WITH a fan rather than without one? I'd say that would make a big difference. I have a fan, does yours?

My incubator has a fan. It says in the article to plug one hole on day 18 but plug the other at the first pip. It never occurred to me that there would not be enough air in the box. The box is pretty big and chicks are small but I guess with all the work they have to do to get out, a lot of air is needed.

I am patiently waiting with the plugs out with six more eggs that have not pipped... I am hoping that they will pull through. They were set at 21 days ago today at 9 or 10 at night. I'm hoping that means that there will be some action in the incubator today or tonight!!!
It may be foolish but I'm holding out some hope.

Can someone tell me how to officially calculate hatch rate? If you candle and remove them if they are clear or have stopped developing for whatever reason, do you still count those?
First, there is no hatch rate contest listed for this hatchalong so don't know if official is warranted here.
Different people calculate hatch rate based on what they want to know.
Divide the number of chicks hatched by the number you set to get your most basic hatch rate.
You can divide the number of developed eggs that go into lockdown by the number of chicks that hatch to see a more defined hatch rate.
If you are doing a fertility check on a pen/flock. Divide the total number of eggs set by the number of clear (non-developing) eggs to tell you what percentage are fertile..and then the number of fertile eggs by the number that make to "lockdown" or hatch to get the hatch rate for the pen/flock.

Hope that is not TMI!
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom