The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Cross posted
I currently have 34 chickens all together in 1 coop and run. 10 are roosters but only 1 is an adult (and 7 adult hens)... The others are 11 and 10 weeks (Easter HAL chicks.) Introducing the chicks to the coop went great however I am wondering how many roosters do I need to rehome? My big chickens free range and I will allow the little ones to do the same. I do plan to build a couple of breeding pens/seperate coops for some certain breeds I hope to breed next year but otherwise I had planned just to keep the others together. There are 4 cockerals Id like to rehome which would leave me with 6. Is that a bad idea??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "general" rule of thumb is 10 hens per roo...

I am having a strange problem. As of today 7 hens are broody. Everyday there seems to be another one. It is like a sickness! The others are not laying well at all. Today i got 16 eggs from 50 hens. Is any of this normal?

Ack, I've had eight go broody over the last four weeks and I only have 14! Chicks everywhere and more coming,
Tis the season...

Another one is broody today. Had 8 hatch yesterday under a broody. 18 eggs in the incubator hatching as we speak and the other incubator has 14 isbars in it. Chicks everywhere! If only the ones with the broodys weren't mutts.

hey guys i know that the HAL is over but i thought that you guys looked very experienced in hatching eggs

well ive just bought a 60 egg incubator and i plan on hatching my guinea fowls eggs and my chickens eggs and goose eggs and the end of the year but i want to try it with a couple eggs that ill buy first any way i was wondering if i could have some advice/instructions on how to hatch eggs :)

hey guys i know that the HAL is over but i thought that you guys looked very experienced in hatching eggs

well ive just bought a 60 egg incubator and i plan on hatching my guinea fowls eggs and my chickens eggs and goose eggs and the end of the year but i want to try it with a couple eggs that ill buy first any way i was wondering if i could have some advice/instructions on how to hatch eggs :)

Welcome to the addiction! lol
Best thing for you to do is to read Sally Sunshine's entire thread called Hatching 101, and check out all the links and vids she has in it... it should answer most of your questions and if you have more, just start a new thread with your questions in the incubating/hatching forum... here's the link to her thread, hope it helps and good luck! :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

hello ive just started incubating 4 eggs its day 2 and ive noticed that all the eggs have one circle on the bottom of the egg, when i candle that spot it lights up
what is this and i still not quite shore if the eggs are fertile or not so any ideas

hello ive just started incubating 4 eggs its day 2 and ive noticed that all the eggs have one circle on the bottom of the egg, when i candle that spot it lights up
what is this and i still not quite shore if the eggs are fertile or not so any ideas

The big end has an air cell in it. It will get bigger as the egg incubates.

Check the size on the days of incubation on the chart. Adjust humidity accordingly.

I hope you have a great hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom