The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had girls with the white spot, the truck with barred rocks is the double black stripe the girls look black and white and the boys appear kinda grayish or lighter, you can really see the difference if you put them side by side =)

I've had girls with the white spot, the truck with barred rocks is the double black stripe the girls look black and white and the boys appear kinda grayish or lighter, you can really see the difference if you put them side by side =)

So mine can still be female

I candled my eggs last night: The Trader Joe Free Range Organic Eggs (NOT labeled as fertile but thought I'd try them) were not fertile. 12 clears :( The four Icelandic eggs I got from a friend's flock are all going strong. :ya Of the 13 set from my flock, only four are developing......that means my 5 year old rooster is not covering all the hens/pullets he is with (16 total and he is the only male) :( or he is aging out :hit The two silkie eggs are under a broody....need to check those..... So.......eight Icelandic eggs still in the incubator and two silkie eggs under a broody
oeuf.gif
Now we wait for the final candling at 17 days.......or when a hen goes broody....whichever comes first!
Too bad I can't ship one of my roos to you. I have far too many, and all are 3 years old or younger :/

Quick question. Are Salmon Favorelles compatible with (standard) Old English Game? My neighbor just added two Salmon hens to her flock. Her rooster is (we think) OEG. (I will try and get a picture tomorrow.) She has offered to give me a couple of their eggs at the end of the week along with several other OEG mixed eggs. I was just wondering, because I haven't heard of the mix before. Also, let's not leak this to DH since he doesn't, yet, know that I am planning my next hatch. After all, this was supposed to be my last hatch for a long while.
wink.png

Uh oh, the white spot on the head of a Barred Rock means male? I'm not suppose to have another male :-\
All Barred Rocks have spots on their heads, male and female. The head spots are typically larger and splotchier on the males while females have a slightly smaller somewhat tighter head spot.

edited to add I see that this was already answered sorry for repeating.

Last edited:
This was our first year for having a hen old enough to become broody. Yes you can move her we moved ours and it worked like a charm.
What I did was wait until she was setting hard on those eggs almost 2 weeks. Then after dark around 10pm we took a cookie sheet out and where my hen chose the
floor to build her nest I slipped the pan under as hubby did some slight lifting of the hen. He carried nest, eggs and hen all in one on that sheet across the yard to the
broody pen we have. It worked and if I had to do it again I would. Just remember take straw/shavings whatever you have in the nest box with her.
Good luck and I hope you have an awesome hatch!

Sounds like a broody. You'll want to mark her eggs and remove any unmarked eggs every day. Other hens will add to her "nest" and you'll have a mess of hatch dates otherwise.

I find it easiest to move the hen and chicks after they hatch. I let her hatch them where she chooses to sit, then at night after they hatch, I move them to a private area for the mom's and babies to bond but are still in view of the flock. After a week, I can let them out with the flock. (and they can usually figure out the ramp by then so I don't have to get flogged by a broody playing "catch the baby chick)

Thanks for all the info y'all. I moved her today when I got off work with minimal fuss. She was setting 5 eggs. I quickly marked them with an x in pencil. We will see if she returns. Off of all of the responses I got, I think I'm just going to leave her be, and make sure she is not adding additional eggs. If she hatches any out, then I will move them to my brooder. I have eggs in the incubator, which are about 11 days apart, so maybe I could put them together, and she can help them all integrate into the established flock. Thanks again for all of the info. Much appreciated.

All Barred Rocks have spots on their heads, male and female. The head spots are typically larger and splotchier on the males while females have a slightly smaller somewhat tighter head spot.

edited to add I see that this was already answered sorry for repeating.

Oh no it's perfectly ok :) thanks for the reply

So mine can still be female

The spot on the head shows the sex because the are a mix. She is an americana/ barred rock. He is a Welsummer/ barred rock. I do have a set of americana
/barred rock that are about a month older. For me, I will be able to tell at birth what they are. Yours still could be a female. :) Have faith! My shipment of barred rocks last year was supposed to all be female. Out of 18 only I was a roo and I could tell by color early on that he was just a little different. No wonder, he was Male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom