The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 16 out of the 20 in my test batch hatch.

#16 seems to have an issue with its leg otherwise its a little small but pretty active. You can see how it sticks out. When the chickadee walks he/she moves it like it is in cement. Should I be concerned?

Day 19 started for us about 2 hours ago and I noticead about a half hour ago we have our first pip!!!! I believe it is one of the Black Japanes Bantams, so I'm eager to see them hatch with knowing 1/4 die in shell.
fl.gif
Hopeing this is going to be a good hatch!!!
fl.gif

Is there a way to test the humidity on the little giant still air incubator because it bounces all over the place, the digital reading. I am not too concerned because the air cells look good, but just wondering for lock down?
You have to purchase a Hygrometer and stick it inside the incubator. They can be found at any pet store that has reptile supplies. Don't forget to calibrate it first.

CHICK FIX
My neighbor broody hatch 7 little chicks, 2 of hers, I planted cochin bantams , 4 hatched and a big black something
what !!!!!!!! Thousands more to come. Big ones, little ones and all different colored ones....
Back to

grooming lunch break over.
Awwww, nothing sweeter than momma's and their babies.

I had 16 out of the 20 in my test batch hatch.

#16 seems to have an issue with its leg otherwise its a little small but pretty active. You can see how it sticks out. When the chickadee walks he/she moves it like it is in cement. Should I be concerned?
First, get the chicks off of newspaper. It is too slippery and can cause leg problems - use paper towels instead. As for fixing the leg, you can use a band aid to hobble the chick. After a few days, it should be good to remove the hobble. (I just leave it on til it falls off) If done early, it can be fixed. If you wait, it is not fixable.

Here is a link to show you how:
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom