The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to check the bator and we had 4 new hatchers in there. (Up to 26 hatchers so far I believe and I think I have 5 left expected to hatch and 4 I don't.) When I went to move them, I noticead this:

Any advice??? It's dry, (at least the outside.) Not bloody or gooey. The chick is very active appears to be strong. The chick hatched sometime between 7 am and 9:30 am this morning.

I agree with the others about putting the chick in some sort of cup and put it back in the incubator and watch it. Is it unabsorbed yolk or is it possibly intestines? I have yet to experience this myself. Good Luck!

Good morning BYC peeps!
You crazy people with early chicks! Showing them off to all of us and making on-time hatcher feel the heat. You're all driving me crazy! Making me think my hatch has gone bad because I don't have ANY action yet.

Luckily I am patient...and I know, our time will come! Us on-timers will soon be able to shout it from the roof tops and brag on BYC...My chicks were on time! I laugh in the faces of the early hatcher, knowing that their earlying hatching pride will be diminised and the on-timers will rule BYC!
I felt the same way last year! Don't worry only 2 of my 52 have hatched early. Remaining have no pips so at least 12 hrs before I will get any more chicks (unless one decides to surprise me.

Well, I went to bed last night with all the excitement of knowing I had an internal pip somewhere in the incubator. ;) I took the day off work today, knowing that I would probably have reason to hover over the incubator today, and who wants to be at work when they have an incubator to hover over? Woke up around 4:30 this morning, because the cats wanted to be fed (thats when they normally get their breakfast, so I can't really blame them, even if I didn't need to get up to go to work). Since I was awake, of course I took a quick peek in the incubator. My first egg had pipped! Yeah! I went back to bed, and got up for real a little before 8, which was about 2 and a half hours ago. At that point 2 more of my eggs had external pips.

I've been trying to be patient and not check every second. I've now got 4 eggs total that are pipping, and the one that started it all has begun zipping. I'm a little worried about the membrane; to be honest, I can't really see it well at all, but I'm certain it appears dry, so I upped the humidity a little bit.

I need to go shopping, but I don't want the eggs to hatch without me. I figure that means I had better go now, but I can't seem to drag myself away from the incubator long enough to get my jacket on. Such struggles one has at times like these.

I agree with the others about putting the chick in some sort of cup and put it back in the incubator and watch it. Is it unabsorbed yolk or is it possibly intestines? I have yet to experience this myself. Good Luck!
It's onnly the second one I have experienced and both of those were this hatch, but my silkie's was ruptured and the cord/membranes were all attatched and bloody so that one looked totally different and I knew there wasn't much chance for her. This one is dryer and balled up. and closer to the point of absorption and he's acting fine in every other way, so I have hope for him.

Thanks everyone. :)

I went to check the bator and we had 4 new hatchers in there. (Up to 26 hatchers so far I believe and I think I have 5 left expected to hatch and 4 I don't.) When I went to move them, I noticead this:

Any advice??? It's dry, (at least the outside.) Not bloody or gooey. The chick is very active appears to be strong. The chick hatched sometime between 7 am and 9:30 am this morning.
It's unabsorbed yolk. Put it in a cup until the yolk absorbs and dries up. Do NOT pull on anything, and if the yolk ruptures, the chick will likely die. (at least all of mine that ruptured it died)

This morning I went to fill the feeders and heard cheeping! My broody was off the nest, so I checked for pips and found this!

Hopefully it continues to do well. :fl

TOMORROW (4/4) IS THE LAST DAY TO ENTER:

Contest #15: Guess How Many Will Hatch

To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...l-hatch-6th-annual-byc-easter-hatchalong/0_50

Contest #15
6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

How Many Eggs Will Hatch?

8,689 eggs were set for the Easter Hatch-a-long

But, How Many Will Hatch?

ONE GUESS! & NO EDITS!

ALL EDITED POST's WILL BE Disqualified!

Give us your best guess on how many eggs will HATCH
by all BYC'ers participating in this hatch-a-long.
It includes ALL chicks, whether they are chicken, duck, goose, turkey, quail, emus, etc.
Have the closest guess and you win!

1st Place:
$100 in coupons for Purina® Layena® Plus Omega-3 Poultry Feed

2nd Place:

$50 in coupons for Purina® Layena® Plus Omega-3 Poultry Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom