The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Chick pictures to share!
jumpy.gif
Sadly, the fifth little Wheaten with the prolapsed yolk did not survive...
hit.gif
but his 4 brothers & sisters are thriving and adorable!!!
love.gif

My 4 Wheaten Ameraucana chicks!

I divided all the chicks between the two broody hens who volunteered - Wendy, a Buff Orpington, and Olivia, a Barred/Blue Rock. Just FYI, both of these new mothers were hatched in LAST year's Easter Hatch -Along, in fact Olivia was the very first chick to hatch last year! The adoption process went fairly smoothly, with a slight glitch this morning when it was discovered that Wendy was rather predjudiced towards ONLY Blonde chicks, and so the blue & black Marans chicks that I had given her were switched over to Olivia, who turned out to have a huge motherly heart that accepts chicks of all colors and breeds! Wendy was given a few golden Easter Egger chicks as replacements, and aside from a bit of suspicion at the random dark spots on their otherwise blonde heads, she seems to be tolerating them so far.

Here is Wendy with her Golden brood...

And the big-hearted Olivia with her multi-colored hatchlings...

They are each in a separate broody pen coop with a small enclosed coop on one end and a hardware cloth covered run on the other.

Thank you again to all the moderators, and others who made this hatch along so fun to be a part of!
clap.gif
Happy hatching everyone!!!
frow.gif

I have some Chick pictures to share!
jumpy.gif
Sadly, the fifth little Wheaten with the prolapsed yolk did not survive...
hit.gif
but his 4 brothers & sisters are thriving and adorable!!!
love.gif

My 4 Wheaten Ameraucana chicks!

I divided all the chicks between the two broody hens who volunteered - Wendy, a Buff Orpington, and Olivia, a Barred/Blue Rock. Just FYI, both of these new mothers were hatched in LAST year's Easter Hatch -Along, in fact Olivia was the very first chick to hatch last year! The adoption process went fairly smoothly, with a slight glitch this morning when it was discovered that Wendy was rather predjudiced towards ONLY Blonde chicks, and so the blue & black Marans chicks that I had given her were switched over to Olivia, who turned out to have a huge motherly heart that accepts chicks of all colors and breeds! Wendy was given a few golden Easter Egger chicks as replacements, and aside from a bit of suspicion at the random dark spots on their otherwise blonde heads, she seems to be tolerating them so far.

Here is Wendy with her Golden brood...

And the big-hearted Olivia with her multi-colored hatchlings...

They are each in a separate broody pen coop with a small enclosed coop on one end and a hardware cloth covered run on the other.

Thank you again to all the moderators, and others who made this hatch along so fun to be a part of!
clap.gif
Happy hatching everyone!!!
frow.gif

these are real keepers!

Wondering if anyone had ideas on why my chicks are hatching so late. Days 23-24. I Had given up hope and went and bought eight Chicks at the feed store, and now two have hatched and two more are zipping.

My total was not so good. I started with 19. Only one of my shipped eggs made it and 3 of my marans developed, but didn't hatch. I think the humidity got too high. Total hatch was 5 out of 19. At least I got 1 lavendar orph. out of the hatch and the BCM's that did hatch have new homes!

Wondering if anyone had ideas on why my chicks are hatching so late. Days 23-24. I Had given up hope and went and bought eight Chicks at the feed store, and now two have hatched and two more are zipping.

Sounds like low temps... have you calibrated your thermometer lately?
Consistently late checks is usually low average temperatures during incubation. Raise the temperature half to one degree for the next hatch if using the same thermometer--or get a brinsea spot check.

Wow, this was a really difficult contest to judge! There are so many fantastic submissions!

The winners of the Flapper Contest are...........

1st Place:

chickenlady099
LL

2nd Place:

mayang
LL

3rd Place:

toynutz
LL

Congratulations to the winners! And thank you to everyone that entered!
congratulations-6341.gif

Low temps. Now you have how many after buying chicks?
lau.gif
It has to be fun though, having your own little babies. In fact, that one right there is a ver pretty color!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom