The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
congratulations great job to both of you
thumbsup.gif

The total number of chicks hatched for the 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong was

The winners with the closest guesses are........

1st Place:

MooreChickens
with a guess of 4,002

2nd Place:

Tessaturtle
with a guess of 4,001

Congratulations!
Congrats!!! Just under half the total! I went directly half....
clap.gif

I bought a Reptitemp digital infared thermometer. Point it at an egg and get its temp. Using it to back up my thermometers that stay in the bators. In my homemade bator egg temp varies as to placement (still air).

[COLOR=008080]Thanks for asking, but sadly, it didn't make it.[/COLOR]:hit [COLOR=008080] It was too active and ended up puncturing the exposed yolk sack.  But I am very thankful for the 29 healthy chicks that I have, and they are all doing well with their adoptive broody mothers.  [/COLOR]:)

[COLOR=008080]Congratulations on your beautiful Sultan chicks! [/COLOR]:thumbsup

SO sorry to hear that :( . That's tough - glad, tho, you had an otherwise good hatch.
Happy Spring!

hmm.. im not sure. i just found him laying in the pine right next to the heat plate. broke my heart and felt it being ripped out. i held him and petted him. ive has the worst luck so far these three weeks. lost two chicks, including the serama i was using to start my new lines, and i lost my favorite rooster i hatched in december who looked promising. i havent lost chicks at all and havent lost a bird in 5 years (knock on wood) and its all terrible. i feel like im being beaten until i fall. makes me want to give up on chicks and eggs for a while, but i guess it happens. ive had the worst luck so far this year.
ive cried so much and its so hard to handle. sorry if i sound dumb
hide.gif

You don't sound dumb at all. I had never had chickens until Nov of 2013 when i bought a place that just begged for chickens. I went and got 5 hens and 1 Bantam roo (that's him on my avatar). I named all of them and called him Benny the Bantam. The first week my neighbors German Sheppard got off it's chain and killed 2 hens and lamed my Benny. That upset me but i hadn't had time to get too attached . From then on i was very protective of Benny cause the neighbors big Game roo would come and try to steal his hens and pick on him terrible. In the mean time i had gotten a puppy and apparently she was part terrier and liked chicken. She and one of my neighbors little dogs, yes, same neighbor, chased Benny and my favorite hen until they gave up and died. My grand daughter, whom i've adopted, cried all over herself but i managed to soothe her. As soon as i put her to bed i headed out the door and tottaly lost it. I cried like i lost a parent or sibling. I couldn't believe that i had become so attached to a "chicken" ! It hurts but then you get some of these little bundles of fluff and the circle starts all over. Benny has his own little monument out behind the barn now and i talk to him when i'm out there about keeping an eye on the other chickens. So no, U don't sound dumb at all. God Bless u and yours.

The total number of chicks hatched for the 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong was

The winners with the closest guesses are........

1st Place:

MooreChickens
with a guess of 4,002

2nd Place:

Tessaturtle
with a guess of 4,001

Congratulations!

hmmm, just over half. that sounds like a pretty poor success rate collectively. is that about normal or is it just a poor year for chick rearing? what was last years like percentagewise?
congratulations to the winners though. hope you enjoy your win!

hmmm, just over half. that sounds like a pretty poor success rate collectively. is that about normal or is it just a poor year for chick rearing? what was last years like percentagewise?
congratulations to the winners though. hope you enjoy your win!
It has to do with some not reporting their hatch totals and that would add to the percentage.

It is also a total hatch not fertile hatch--some would have had 0 hatch out of what they set. Others would have low hatch rates because of shipping damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom