The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

@Sally Sunshine Hi Sally & Mike, I have 4 pips this morning :ya This is suppose to be hatch day, but upon calibrating the therm/hygro in the incubator that they spent the first 18 days in. For some reason the thermo was off a degree. I had calibrated it just at the start of putting those eggs in. I'm not certain why or when it changed but that would explain why these eggs are running late. So glad I checked it before adding another full tray into that incubator. Sally thanks for STRESSING the importance of calibrating before EVERY hatch :highfive:

@Sally Sunshine Hi Sally & Mike, I have 4 pips this morning
ya.gif
This is suppose to be hatch day, but upon calibrating the therm/hygro in the incubator that they spent the first 18 days in. For some reason the thermo was off a degree. I had calibrated it just at the start of putting those eggs in. I'm not certain why or when it changed but that would explain why these eggs are running late. So glad I checked it before adding another full tray into that incubator. Sally thanks for STRESSING the importance of calibrating before EVERY hatch
highfive.gif
I always keep multiple thermometers in my incubators, that way I can always check for consistency, every time I look in the incubator. I've had too many times where it is off by a few degrees all of a sudden.

@Sally Sunshine Hi Sally & Mike, I have 4 pips this morning :ya This is suppose to be hatch day, but upon calibrating the therm/hygro in the incubator that they spent the first 18 days in. For some reason the thermo was off a degree. I had calibrated it just at the start of putting those eggs in. I'm not certain why or when it changed but that would explain why these eggs are running late. So glad I checked it before adding another full tray into that incubator. Sally thanks for STRESSING the importance of calibrating before EVERY hatch :highfive:

:weee You have pips to look at! :eek:

I always check too as my first ever hatch was a complete bust by only going on the incubator, totally cooked the eggs :hit
Drilled in now to always check!!

Last edited:
I just want to rip my hair out right now!
barnie.gif
I woke up to my son looking into an OPEN incubator. He didn't mess with the chicks, but he may have compromised my entire hatch. That boy is a ninja. I don't hear him when he gets out of bed in the morning and I didn't hear him go in the other room. Now I have a fully zipped chick that's stuck. It can't push the top of the shell off. The membrane is stuck to it all the way around!
he.gif
I added more water before I closed it.

The chick that pipped the wrong end died sometime last night. I figured it would go one way or the other.

In other news from the incubator. Panda Chick! IT has spots over both eyes, but it moved before I could get a pic.

Those little whipper snappers..(kids).. are so fast sometimes.
You have me worried now, I have two that are pipped at the wrong end. One has been pipped at the wrong end since yesterday afternoon. Will check on it this afternoon. Shucks. Glad you have a baby. You might be surprised at how many will still hatch on their own, even though the bator was opened.

My silkie eggs still aren't doing anything, but there's still plenty of time. More chicks have hatched and as a result I've had to open the bator to vent some of the humidity a few times. My windows are fogging up.
lol.png
They're popping out pretty quickly now.

More pics from the bator. Most of the chicks are hatching yellow, unless the mom was black.

Back
Top Bottom