The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I am so antsy I almost don't know what to do with myself!! Today is day 19 of my very first hatch and I am not very good at waiting for things. I tried distracting myself, but it didn't work. Come on Thursday!! Get here already!! I've got six still going strong!

1f602.png
I have the perfect distraction set up for Friday. I've got a field trip that last from 7am-7pm. That will keep my little fingers and nose out of the incubator.
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I just moved 16 Icelandic eggs from my neighbor's incubator to my house. Talk about stressing...carefully put eggs into the cartons...put carton gently into the insulated bag on top of towels heated in the dryer....drive as steady as possible out his gravel drive, down 1/2 mile paved road, up my gravel drive....carry box with insulated bag into coop (already had everything there ready)....remove golf balls and plastic eggs from under broodies...stifle ow, ouches while being pecked..gently remove eggs from cartons and place under each hen. 9 to the experienced, almost 2 year old Icelandic hen and 7 to the 9 month old inexperienced Icelandic pullet...
Now the wait........

The other 9 eggs, Mille Fleur d'Uccle, will be staying in my neighbor's incubator and his 10 year old son will be their caretaker. I'll report here what hatches from them since they were counted as set by me.

Now for some hockey!!!
images
Go Blackhawks!!

Hello everyone! I have a question. One of my hens just went broody and she is almost 1. This is the first time she has gone broody and I was wondering if it is a good idea to put some eggs from the hatch a long under her. I'm going to put the eggs in lockdown tonight and would like some advise. Is it unnatural to give a hen eggs when they are about to hatch or will she accept them no matter what stage? Also she is sitting on all dummy eggs right now.

Hello everyone! I have a question. One of my hens just went broody and she is almost 1. This is the first time she has gone broody and I was wondering if it is a good idea to put some eggs from the hatch a long under her. I'm going to put the eggs in lockdown tonight and would like some advise. Is it unnatural to give a hen eggs when they are about to hatch or will she accept them no matter what stage? Also she is sitting on all dummy eggs right now.

How long has she been broody? Want to make sure she stays first! I learned that one. If she has been on for a couple of days, she's probably good to give a chance with babies. I'm thinking of doing the same with my silkie that went broody a couple of days ago. I know she would stay on the eggs, but not sure what kind of mom she will be. This would be her first time being a mom.

Back
Top Bottom