The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I set 14 eggs from my blue ameraucanas and 8 from my blue Am cockerel over my SLWs yesterday. Gonna candle tonight because last time I was able to spot several of the fertile ones on day one and wanted to see if I was as successful this time around. Fingers crossed for lots of babies! These will be the first Ameraucana babies I've hatched this year...I'm very excited. Can't wait till my blue wheaten girls start laying, too, so I'll have even more! I'm totally addicted to hatching!!!

one of my frizzles just had babies hatch today

How sweet! I want must one or two for looks. *wistful sigh

Quote:
I have a variety of Silkies crosses..lol. I think some might be crossed with Easter Egger, some with Old English Bantams, the partridge/buff Silkies are crossed with a breed that makes them more aggressive and feisty and I have 4 purebred roosters.

For us, I prefer the crosses; mine have less poof on the top of their heads and it "usually" cleans up the legs a lot. The majority of mine have a small, wavy straight comb and tiny wattles. I've found them to be incredibly robust and they handle winter as well as or better than the rest of the chickens. Despite their small size, one of my buff Silkie cross roosters put the run on a younger but much bigger EE rooster today. Both the hens and rooster can hold their own. Some occupy the top roosts.

We free range. I haven't had issues yet with aerial predators, but we've had fox hits and I haven't lost any when they're out free ranging. The crosses are incredibly broody. I've got 4 Silkies and two OEGBs trying to hatch golf balls...lol.

I have little bantam cochins hatching. Three blues so far. One a possible mottled blue. Has specks on it's nose. :) I would love that. Feeling better than last night. Tired though, but will be up off and on with this hatch. They are so small. And cute!

Back
Top Bottom