The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Congratulations to a first timer, but won't be one for long. I forsee a future hatchaholic!!
woot.gif
Man, nice black silkie in that last photo! I love me a silkie. Or two...or.... I have a beautiful black girl out there that I hatched the end of last year. At least that baby looks black in the photo..still wet. Need to see photos when they are dry!
Thanks!! For sure on the hatchaholic part. I'm already thinking about my next hatch! I do love the silkies also. I will post more when they fluff up :)

Ohh, great, early again. Hopefully they don't take three days to all get hatched again.
Can running too dry during first 18 days, or using older eggs cause some to hatch early?

My old eggs from the 2nd batch hatched fine and on day 21. They started the escape process on day 20.

Been a couple hrs, no progression, just the hole, I see it moving in there, should I crack it? Really want to crack it open....

Just kidding, (step away from the bator!)

Ohh boy, can't wait to tell the kids in the morning when they get up, they will be so excited, not me, no big deal....:weee :yiipchick

1f602.png
1f602.png
me thinks you are more excited than the kiddos.

Last edited:
When I popped the lid to take a pic of hatcher this morning my malpositioned pip hadn't progressed so my interventionist nature took over and I assisted him out.

So much for hands off. But I was just the one.

Yesterday, on day 19, day 2 of lockdown, I noticed that my thermometer (used previously for my fish tank) may have been wrong, and reading an incorrect low temperature, when in fact that incubator may have been 104 degrees and I didn't realize it. I had a 2nd digital thermometer, but I was reading my regular thermometer instead....

I'm hoping this hasn't ruined my hatch...but I guess all I can do is wait and find out.

Does anybody know if 104 degrees will kill eggs?

Quote: Not tellin'.

Well, maybe I waited too long, or not long enough....maybe I messed everything up but....

By 10 pm I had 3 turkey's hatched out of 3 of 4 eggs (one of which was questionable). I had 2 ducks pipped for 8+ hours, and other ducks pipped for less time. I opened the bator and pulled out one pipped duck egg I'd not seen move for awhile, and he was dead. Pulled out the other I knew was pipped a long time, and he was also dead. Waited a couple more hours with no more progress, pulled out a third duck egg. It was alive, and I peeled it, no blood, all was well, he's healthy duck #2. Pulled out another duck egg, peeled a bit, and saw some blood, put him back in there, might have killed him, not sure. Next duck egg, peeled most of it, and he's fixing to be healthy duck #3, even though I didn't completely remove him, he seems great.

THIS is why I HATE hatching eggs. My hatch rate sucks. 80%+ at lock down drops to 20% or less at hatch and I never know when to help, or not help. SOOOOO frustrating.
I'm sorry it's not going well. I have no experience hatching ducks, so I can't help.

My one and only duckling for the EHAL hatched this morning.

The little stinker was in the incubator all day with the chicken eggs that are set to hatch on Easter. When I took it out and put it in the brooder I noticed that there is a pip in one of the eggs and a lot of chirping. Ugh, my duckling was influencing them to hatch early. lol I imagine that I will have a new chick in the morning.

So tired from cheerleading and taking a snooze while I work on some homework. So cute and fuzzy. My heart just melted again.

And what a cutie pie!

Sometimes when a bunch hatch at once, your humidity spikes too high. I use that opportunity to quickly grab chicks. If there are pips or chicks zipping, I do not open it.

What a flapper?
Getting a picture of your birds in mid flap of their wings.

Back
Top Bottom