The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Final count 2. I'm pleased since this was our first attempt added to the fact it was shipped eggs that got lost.
IMG_1157.JPG

Ok final numbers.... 7 out of 8 turkey eggs hatched...but one passed over night and another needed special attention. Out of 36 chicken eggs set 9 were infertile and 2 blood rings so went into lockdown with 25, and hatched 19. one started to zip but got turned over during bowling and died, and 3 more were yolks and died. So 16 live chicks.View attachment 1322397
Congratulations!

Cute turkey

Hey guys

Update. We are done.

Sadly.

I candled when I saw no external pip and when candling I could see the chick's feet up by the air cell. The veins were not distinct like I like and I figured it was dead or stuck and close to dieing.

When I opened the air cell it was clear I was right. The chick was dead.

Tomorrow I plan to open and eggtopsy the egg to identify when and see if I can tell how. I know it was alive at lockdown.

Sadly we have one lonely little quail chick and tomorrow I will get in touch with the breeder and get some friends for our little quail.

Thank goodness there's a local breeder we can go to in these situations.
I hope you get some friends for the singleton!
We hatched 9/9 of the SFH’s, 8/11 of the Serema’s, 3/6 of the BCM’s, 0/2 EE, 0/3 OE and 1/1 NN.
....For some reason we lost one SFH, and I think we are done. Time to clean out the bator, order some eggs and try again.
[/QUOTE]

Hey guys

Nice! Sorry for the losses.

Good luck on the next hatch!

I just threw out the last of my duck eggs. :hit They had all stopped developing. I think I'm done with shipped eggs from now on. :(

I still have some local eggs set that are about 2 weeks in. But I'm worried since I've lost so many already. What do you all suggest I should have the humidity and temp at?
Sorry for the losses! I hope the next batch works.

Get a Brinsea spot check and keep temps between 99.5F and 100F. Try humidity at 35% for the first 17 days and remove all plugs or open the vents

The above should get a good hatch from fertile local eggs.

All I had to was go to bed and sleep, I have 6 Easter Eggers hatched. Two pipped and the same two still thinking about it (they are alive) I had to soften the membrane and take the top of the shell off their heads, it was dried up around their beaks......my farm innovator kept spiking at 102 and humidity dropping to 17. This was a nerve wracking hatch, trying to keep up the temp without cooking them & humidity was crazy mostly down. I sure am spoiled with my R-Com incubator. I'm going to love this Harris Farm incubator if my maran eggs hatch well. I put the Easter Eggers in the RCom for hatching to keep them at the proper temp & humidity.

RCom for incubating and the farm innovator for hatching.

Are leghorns auto-sexing or able to sex with wing feathers?
Not auto sexing at all.

speed of wing feather growth is for sex links. you never get this to work within a breed. You have to cross with something else. Leghorns do not make good sexlinks for down color because of the white genes which hide barring and etc.

I was getting ready to toss out those duck eggs that didn’t hatch so that I could get ready for the next hatch. I wanted to candle them first, though. Just to see what went wrong. Seven of them are still alive! A couple aren’t even fully developed yet and some are there, but haven’t pipped internally yet. Air cells look good. I don’t want to do anything to the humidity because if it spikes too high they can drown, right? There’s enough water in there so that temp and humidity should get back to normal soon. Did I screw things up? Put them in danger of shrink wrapping? Move them around too much (some rolled around when I put them back in), omg. I’m so confused. This the weirdest hatch ever!

They do not drown from too much humidity but they will suffocate. Keep humidity in the 65 to 70% range during lockdown.

If the chicks did not absorb the liquid in the egg they can drown but that is not because of humidity during lockdown. That has to do with temperature, shipping stress and breeder stock health.

I posted a guide to chick death after day 18 with pips and the number one cause was humidity and temperature too low. The second most common cause is humidity too low during lockdown. Sadly people do not believe this and I do not know why. I was accused of not knowing this from experience but I do know this from experience. The University studies show this too

Piped dead or weak after day 19.jpg

Last edited:
When your hatch is done, please post here your total number of chicks hatched. (of all types of fowl)
Not so good of a hatch rate. As I said a few pages back, I woke up Easter Morning to find my Oven door open. Curious Grandson.. So my only hatches are limited and from the day before the temp/humidity drop. The only one that survived was an assisted chick who is in dyer straights. I have been nursing it. It had zero use of it's legs. But I've been pumping high volumes of nutrition into it and at least she can sit up straight now.
So here are my pathetic numbers.
Farmer Connie Stats:
  • 40 eggs set.
  • 10 duds upon candle
  • 13 eggs half un zipped & died from the lid being open.
  • 1 assisted rescue chick after temp drop.
  • 7 chicks hatched early and are all happy and healthy.
So my count technically is 7 and 1/2 chicks.
20180403_094408_Burst01.jpg

Here is my special needs chick.
20180403_094426_Burst01.jpg

When your family comes to visit for the Holiday weekend, lock the door to your incubator room..

Back
Top Bottom