The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I'm also working on a blue Sebright, I have 2 blue Hens with Sebright blood in them and an order in for Silver 'Brights. Colors are what it's all about...There's no Blue 'Bright in the SoP, either, nor a Buff, but I see Buffs for sale, at Ideal Hatcheries and from the man where I got my 3 new 'Brights this past Saturday. I understand you Breed a Golden Roo with a Silver Hen. I have THAT combination, now. Soooo....here come the Buffs.

I always love to see the colors people come up with, and the EE's are so wonderful for doing that. I can't see how anyone would balk at someone attempting a new and beautiful color combo. My Olive Eggers are beautiful Golden Amie appearing, with blue rear halves. They are some of my most beautiful chickens, and they're Hens. I also drove 110 miles, each way, just to buy them. Roos are usually considered the best-looking, but...EE's have good-looking Hens.

Don't let ANYone talk you out of a project that you want to try. You may have the next "craze trend" bird, in your pics.
The buff Sebrights are made by adding dominate white to golden the white takes out black leaving a white laced buff.There is a lot of black peppering in golden.Remove the black from the golden area and you have buff.A golden rooster over a silver hen will give you golden hens and silver split for golden roosters.May be poor goldens due to less black.If you use Silver rooster over golden hens you get silver pullets with lots of peppering.Silver males split for gold.Gold and silver are sex linked.Dominate white turns BBred into red pyle.

Jerryse Is a very experienced breeder and helped to get Ameraucanas accepted as a breed. Any input he gives is from his decades of experience. If you want to learn something he is one to learn from
Yes! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Someone mentioned on the other Ameraucana thread that quite a few breeders were no longer frequenting the thread. I am glad one of them has joined us here. There is no substitute for experience!

Hi new thread : )

My birds that do not meet ASOP for Ameraucana and carry the 'blue egg gene' are quite simply 'Green-Eggers'. It doesn't matter a whit to me what anyone else calls their birds as long as one doesn't try to call them something they are not.

I breed / raise / keep Ameraucana in black, blue, splash and some project birds bred **toward** Ameraucana standard, as per ASOP .

I have many many birds that carry the 'blue egg gene' that are bred toward a *different* goal, but nothing here that is an Easter Egger.

An Easter Egger, to me, is a bird from hatchery-stock that may lay any-colored-egg, is not a 'breed' and has no 'standard'.

Thank you for joining. What color of project birds are you breeding toward the Ameraucana standard? I think a lot of us on this thread may be able to agree a bit better on the classification of breed. I would just like to treat the Ameraucana like any other breed of standard chicken. Some of my personal opinions may not align themselves perfectly the the SOP for Ameraucanas, but they  were formed predominantly based on genetic principles. And I am very open to discussing them in a friendly manner. I am fairly new to chickens and the breed, but I would really like to learn more from the old-timers on this site. I am a little confused by the the way your post is worded but I think we are on the same page :)

What part is confusing? I don't use the term Easter Egger as freely as the Ameraucana Breeders Club does --- that term (in my mind and on this hill) is reserved for hatchery-bred birds (I think the hatcheries made it up) or mixed breeds who may or may not carry blue egg gene.
I'm not trying to muddy the water, but give you some clarification. I have Ameraucana --- and I have other birds that have the blue egg gene that are NOT Ameraucana by ASOP . You seem to have difficulty *seeing* the difference.

It seems to take a long time to get a color accepted into a breeds SOP. I am excited to "dive" into some projects in the future. I think I would like to start with a standard color first to better my understanding of the genetics of the breed before I attempt to make any breeding decisions. My "eye" is not keen enough yet in the chicken world. My background is in dogs and horses. I have so much to learn and can't get enough of this breed! (Ameraucanas). All of the traits it possesses intrigues me.
Reminds me of myself.Genetics are sooo interesting.We old breeders were once young upstarts that were told we would never get our breed into the standard as long as we had araucana in the name.So we called them Ameraucana.Thanks to Frank Gary who helped us get in.It was close but Frank helped tip things our way.We met all the requirements and they lost the paper work.With Frank's help the process was completed.I knew nothing when I started.Learned as I went along.Oh by the way we used easter eggers as a starting point.At that time if it laid a blue or green egg it was a Araucana.The breed history says we used Araucana and that is true but now you know the rest of the story.

left to right: Australorp, EE. Brown Leghorn, Australorp or Wyandotte I'm not sure which is laying the last one. The white egg is sz lg. The first two are huge and that was her first green egg. They have gotten larger.

I think I have about as close as you can get to standard for a Blue Wheaton Roo and not meet it with my roo Rosco.

His fluffy butt is the wrong color.

What part is confusing? I don't use the term Easter Egger as freely as the Ameraucana Breeders Club does --- that term (in my mind and on this hill) is reserved for hatchery-bred birds (I think the hatcheries made it up) or mixed breeds who may or may not carry blue egg gene.
I'm not trying to muddy the water, but give you some clarification. I have Ameraucana --- and I have other birds that have the blue egg gene that are NOT Ameraucana by ASOP . You seem to have difficulty *seeing* the difference.
Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't assuming anything negative about what you posted. I definitely don't use the term Easter Egger as freely as the ABC. That was one of things that bothered me most about the other thread and why I started this one. I have not been able to wrap my head around the fact that breeding a purebred Ameraucana to a purebred Ameraucana can result in an Easter Egger. It just didn't make sense to me. I am interested in everything Ameraucana that includes EE's. Even though I think the term Easter Egger should refer to an Ameruacana crossed with another breed of chicken that may or may not lay a blue egg. I know other subscribers may have a different view on the subject and that is ok with me. I think we are all here to learn, share information and discuss these birds in a friendly atmosphere.

left to right: Australorp, EE. Brown Leghorn, Australorp or Wyandotte I'm not sure which is laying the last one. The white egg is sz lg. The first two are huge and that was her first green egg. They have gotten larger.

I think I have about as close as you can get to standard for a Blue Wheaton Roo and not meet it with my roo Rosco.
Looks like buff x blue wheaten.The go to cross for improving buff is buff x wheaten.Yellow beak Green legs.Likely sold project birds as EE and picked up green legs from EE's.The other rooster looks splash wheaten.The buff breast gives away the buff as it should be blue in a blue wheaten.

He is a really beautiful bird, as are your eggs. I hope mine end up laying some similar to that color.

Reminds me of myself.Genetics are sooo interesting.We old breeders were once young upstarts that were told we would never get our breed into the standard as long as we had araucana in the name.So we called them Ameraucana.Thanks to Frank Gary who helped us get in.It was close but Frank helped tip things our way.We met all the requirements and they lost the paper work.With Frank's help the process was completed.I knew nothing when I started.Learned as I went along.Oh by the way we used easter eggers as a starting point.At that time if it laid a blue or green egg it was a Araucana.The breed history says we used Araucana and that is true but now you know the rest of the story.

I never thought I would be so interested in chickens. I have always been interested in genetics and chickens make this subject all the more rewarding. Traits surface so much faster due to the fast generation interval. You can't beat 21 days! Thank you for sharing the "rest of the story." It all fascinates me. It's wonderful to hear how you successfully created a breed. I sincerely thank you for joining this thread. I know I am going to have many questions in the future regarding this breed and am glad to know I have an educated source to answer them.

Back
Top Bottom