The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

X2!

My cull pullets go right into my layer flock. The boys usually get rehomed to people who want yard candy with firm instructions not to breed them. If I don't trust that someone wouldn't breed them, then I call them mixes.

That's awesome, you guys. I just assumed that culling meant killing, based on what I've read so far. That makes me feel a whole lot better. You guys both have some amazing looking birds....hats off to you!

Cindi

Nah, no other symptoms. Initially when I flushed it out I saw what looked like a tiny nub of feather come out, so I'm hoping that's all. I used to be a vet (small animal, albeit not avian, and definitely not chickens, lol!) so I'm pretty confident it's not any kind of systemic illness, just localized to the eye... I'm thinking the NPB should work if it's infected. Could be a bunch of different things, but I'll start with the simple. :)

Good to hear! Hope it heals up well, unfortunately things do happen... if it ends up blind in one eye though, it should adapt fine... :fl

That's awesome, you guys. I just assumed that culling meant killing, based on what I've read so far. That makes me feel a whole lot better. You guys both have some amazing looking birds....hats off to you!

Cindi

Some do mean "kill" when they say "cull", it's just that not all "culling" is "killing"... ;) :D

And thank you...

Nah, no other symptoms. Initially when I flushed it out I saw what looked like a tiny nub of feather come out, so I'm hoping that's all. I used to be a vet (small animal, albeit not avian, and definitely not chickens, lol!) so I'm pretty confident it's not any kind of systemic illness, just localized to the eye... I'm thinking the NPB should work if it's infected. Could be a bunch of different things, but I'll start with the simple. :)

Old medical school saying "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." Meaning its generally best to start with the most common, usually simplest, diagnosis and base your treatment on that. Common sense is so uncommon! Good job @pitbullmomma

Wow, took me 2 days to read thru this forum. Lots and lots of useful info. My daughter bought 2 trios from a local. The hens are all black and look pretty descent. Both roosters have mulberry combs. She also picked up 8 chicks at Lollies las week, then had a bad storm at her place and lost 7 of them. I ordered eggs on ebay from 2 different people. Maybe a mistake, maybe not. Time will tell. If all works out she will have 4 bases of birds to work from. Culling will be strict and continuing with the goal of raising the best birds possible. My daughter owns an exotic animal ranch and makes her living from the animals and birds so I really think she has the right stuff to raise cemanis too. Maybe by the time some eggs hatch Ill know how to post pics.

Do not consider this as a slam in any form, but we are basically a ranch family and our first rule is "never fall in love with our animals." We will put in the time and effort to breed and raise the best possible. If, after that money cant be made then they will be sold. Not gonna try to get rich off one group of animals, just make a profit.

If, after that money cant be made then they will be sold.

I'm not trying to dash your hopes, but you're very unlikely to make money from them if you are breeding diligently. That means hatching all the eggs you possibly can to have as many chicks each year to raise up and choose from for your next generation of breeders; culling any that do not make the cut, which means either killing them and eating them, keeping hens for laying only, or selling them on the cheap to people that will not breed them, which often means you have to advertise them as mixes to prevent that from happening.

Your best birds, which would be worth the most, are the ones you need to keep for yourself for breeding, so you can't sell those. The inferior ones that shouldn't be bred can't fetch a high price because they are culls. And you might be able to sell some eggs here and there if you fill your incubators or are at capacity for chicks and growouts, but that will barely pay for a couple bags of feed, if you're lucky.

I've had them for almost four years now and I've never made a profit. I'm in for much more money than I ever expect to make on them, too.

Back
Top Bottom