The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

hey everyone! I'm in virginia...still looking to sell off some of my cemanis. I have to many roosters...but I will part with a hen or two if someone wants a pair. These are all youngsters..16wks and 4wks. GFF lines. No shipping...i've not had luck with the USPS shipping birds this year.

I won't be likely to travel to VA anytime soon, but I'd love to see pictures of what you have. Please?

I won't be likely to travel to VA anytime soon, but I'd love to see pictures of what you have. Please?
these are at 15wks. The one w a bit if white is a piece of wood shaving on her. None of them have white in the feathers.

Attachments

• Resized_20170714_085512_005.jpg
    Resized_20170714_085512_005.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170714_090104.jpg
    20170714_090104.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20170714_084620.jpg
    20170714_084620.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20170714_085501.jpg
    20170714_085501.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 24
@abraga Lovely birds! :drool I shall drool from afar.
I live up in the mountains..close to Tenn and Kentucky. Farm community...people here want chicks they can raise for eggs or eating! I started then off at $200 a pair for my best chicks..now I have them at $120. I had chicks shipped 3x this year. Out of 9 chicks..only 4 survived shipping and I spent hrs nursing them to keep them alive. I had cemani chicks come in b4 those..they all survived..but same nightmare..half dead and hour nursing them along. My birds are my babies..each and every one!! I'm scared to death to ship them. I live in a dinky town..so, no direct flights unless I drive 2 hrs to the next large airport. I have way to many roos..so..i will have to sell them cheap or let them loose to free range and just keep the pairs I want to keep in runs.

Hi guys, think I figured out what's going on with my little stunted-growth, one-eyed 8-week cemani...dry pox. :( It's been touch and go with her, lots of supportive care. The other three approx 10 week old ones are thriving and doing great. I've been working with them daily and they are getting tame and (I think) are beautiful. They're all in quarantine. I'll show pics when I get em (have an old-school flipphone, lol)

Any of you guys deal with this in your cemanis? If so, how did they fare, and did the healthier, older birds get it too? From what I've read, it's pretty virulent. Thanks!

Cindi

Hi guys, think I figured out what's going on with my little stunted-growth, one-eyed 8-week cemani...dry pox. :( It's been touch and go with her, lots of supportive care. The other three approx 10 week old ones are thriving and doing great. I've been working with them daily and they are getting tame and (I think) are beautiful. They're all in quarantine. I'll show pics when I get em (have an old-school flipphone, lol)

Any of you guys deal with this in your cemanis? If so, how did they fare, and did the healthier, older birds get it too? From what I've read, it's pretty virulent. Thanks!

Cindi

I've never dealt with it, but I hope your birds come through okay :fl

I've never dealt with it, but I hope your birds come through okay :fl

Thanks, me too! I left a message with the guy in LA I got them from, to see if any of his birds had a similar problem. If it is pox, it sucks because it's spread by mosquitos which in NJ is the state bird, pretty much. And even though I plan on quarantining them for a month, I have some new babies and this seems to slowly go through your entire flock even if you have pretty good sanitation, biosecurity, and even separate coops/runs. We'll see.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the heck out of my beautiful black birds! They have cool personalities now that they are settling in. Wild, yet approachable. I named the pullets Raven and Luna, and the small stunted one Dobby. They will do pretty much anything for mealworms, and their antics are pretty amusing....

Thanks, me too! I left a message with the guy in LA I got them from, to see if any of his birds had a similar problem. If it is pox, it sucks because it's spread by mosquitos which in NJ is the state bird, pretty much. And even though I plan on quarantining them for a month, I have some new babies and this seems to slowly go through your entire flock even if you have pretty good sanitation, biosecurity, and even separate coops/runs. We'll see.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the heck out of my beautiful black birds! They have cool personalities now that they are settling in. Wild, yet approachable. I named the pullets Raven and Luna, and the small stunted one Dobby. They will do pretty much anything for mealworms, and their antics are pretty amusing....

Oh, no, that sucks... :(

I haven't ever had it (knock on wood), nor have I heard of anyone else's Cemanis having it... but I am trying to remember who it was I know that dealt with pox... I know a few people have had issues with it in the last year or so... I'll keep trying to remember and see if I can get you in touch with them, maybe they could help...

I do know dry is much better to deal with than wet, and if I recall correctly, it's mostly a 'ride it out' type of thing... :fl all goes well for you...

Oh, no, that sucks... :(

I haven't ever had it (knock on wood), nor have I heard of anyone else's Cemanis having it... but I am trying to remember who it was I know that dealt with pox... I know a few people have had issues with it in the last year or so... I'll keep trying to remember and see if I can get you in touch with them, maybe they could help...

I do know dry pox is much better to deal with than wet, and if I recall correctly, it's mostly a 'ride it out' type of thing... :fl all goes well for you...

Thanks, Ravyn! I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about it, from what I've read it has a low mortality, just takes awhile to run through a flock. Wet pox is definitely worse. I think the guy who sold me the birds said they were vaccinated against pox, so maybe it is more common in Louisiana than NJ. We'll see. I'll just continue to treat supportively (been syringe-feeding Nutridrench for a boost) and she has been eating and drinking more after that and walking around. The lesions seem to be lessening and her one bad eye is totally open, but I'm pretty sure she's blind in it.

All my others--doing great so far (fingers crossed).

Thanks, Ravyn! I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about it, from what I've read it has a low mortality, just takes awhile to run through a flock. Wet pox is definitely worse. I think the guy who sold me the birds said they were vaccinated against pox, so maybe it is more common in Louisiana than NJ. We'll see. I'll just continue to treat supportively (been syringe-feeding Nutridrench for a boost) and she has been eating and drinking more after that and walking around. The lesions seem to be lessening and her one bad eye is totally open, but I'm pretty sure she's blind in it.

All my others--doing great so far (fingers crossed).

How are your birds doing? Check out this thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-sore-on-single-wattle.1192010/unread

And been wracking my brain on who would know more about fowl pox and feel like an idiot now, lol... talk to @casportpony is your best bet...

Back
Top Bottom