The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Thanks! Six weeks today actually for the St. Patrick's Day cockerel :) The other is about a week younger, so right around five weeks and a couple days.

Thanks, by any chance do you have pix of pullets this same age you can post?

I picked up these 2 beautiful Cemanis yesterday. There were 4 to choose from. These two are all black including the inside of their mouth. One of the other 2 had a pink mouth & the other was tan so I passed on those.

Attachments

• IMG_6870.JPG
    IMG_6870.JPG
    637.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6882.JPG
    IMG_6882.JPG
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 22
I picked up these 2 beautiful Cemanis yesterday. There were 4 to choose from. These two are all black including the inside of their mouth. One of the other 2 had a pink mouth & the other was tan so I passed on those.

Very cool that you got to pick! I'm on the fence between trying to get a few more AC's with darker color or working with the three I have and hatching out some Hmong Chickens for a meat flock. I love my significant other but he doesn't buy into my madness and I have to keep it conservative.:hit:tongue

I know what you mean Ms. Biddy. There is no way I could afford the going prices for top quality Cemanis. Fortunately I have breeds that my source wants so we’ve been able to work out deals that keep the costs down.

..........Just as a side note Ms. Biddy; there is no way on God's green earth I could convince my wife to let me spend the going rate either. :)

Last edited:
Very cool that you got to pick! I'm on the fence between trying to get a few more AC's with darker color or working with the three I have and hatching out some Hmong Chickens for a meat flock. I love my significant other but he doesn't buy into my madness and I have to keep it conservative.:hit:tongue
Ha! My husband does’nt share my madness either. I may have xtra AC Roo’s after I know what I have now. I also have 13 more buns in the oven now

Well, it’s getting more & more difficult to sex a couple of the 6 Cemanis now that they’re 4 weeks old. As you can see I am now on the fence with a couple of them, specifically due to an increase in comb size. However, I started this venture so I’m committed to continue until I know for certain.

On a side note; all 6 have been spending day time hours outside in their soon to be pen. I spent a few minutes with them & when they were at the right angle to the sun the iridescence that sets them apart from other breeds is already showing in each one. Picasso has nothing on mother nature when it comes to blending the perfect color pallet. The blue's, purple's, & green's against their deep black base is absolutely stunning.

Attachments

• IMG_6997.JPG
    IMG_6997.JPG
    577.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7000.JPG
    IMG_7000.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7001.JPG
    IMG_7001.JPG
    607.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7002.JPG
    IMG_7002.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7005.JPG
    IMG_7005.JPG
    607.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7008.JPG
    IMG_7008.JPG
    661.5 KB · Views: 20
Well, it’s getting more & more difficult to sex a couple of the 6 Cemanis now that they’re 4 weeks old. As you can see I am now on the fence with a couple of them, specifically due to an increase in comb size. However, I started this venture so I’m committed to continue until I know for certain.

On a side note; all 6 have been spending day time hours outside in their soon to be pen. I spent a few minutes with them & when they were at the right angle to the sun the iridescence that sets them apart from other breeds is already showing in each one. Picasso has nothing on mother nature when it comes to blending the perfect color pallet. The blue's, purple's, & green's against their deep black base is absolutely stunning.

They're getting to the age where you should be able to tell for sure soon.

As a side note, I noticed that the purple banded one has feather stubs. Don't breed that one unless you want a lot of feather stubs down the line.

Back
Top Bottom