The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Question: Other than the beauty and rareness ... do you breed this breed for their dark meat?? I'm new to this breed and looking for more reasons to get involved with this breed. TIA!

Hi AC peeps,

I have a question about AC genetics; specifically, if fibromelanosis is a dominant or recessive gene.

Say I have a Silkie and an AC cross. Is it possible to have an offspring that has white feet and skin? My way of thinking (I'm definitely not a geneticist, so don't laugh!) is that if fibro is a recessive gene, then if you have two fibro parents, there would be a 25% chance that the offspring would not have black feet/skin. Is this possible? Or is it a dominant gene and therefore any offspring would be black?

I have some mystery babies, and I'm hoping that they might have a little of my dearly departed Cemani roo in them. They have 5 toes, so definitely a Silkie mom for all. Dad could have been my AC or a Serama, and three of the four have white legs and skin, while one has black feet and skin and five toes. :)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and happy holidays....

Hi AC peeps,

I have a question about AC genetics; specifically, if fibromelanosis is a dominant or recessive gene.

Say I have a Silkie and an AC cross. Is it possible to have an offspring that has white feet and skin? My way of thinking (I'm definitely not a geneticist, so don't laugh!) is that if fibro is a recessive gene, then if you have two fibro parents, there would be a 25% chance that the offspring would not have black feet/skin. Is this possible? Or is it a dominant gene and therefore any offspring would be black?

I have some mystery babies, and I'm hoping that they might have a little of my dearly departed Cemani roo in them. They have 5 toes, so definitely a Silkie mom for all. Dad could have been my AC or a Serama, and three of the four have white legs and skin, while one has black feet and skin and five toes. :)

The fibromelanism gene is a dominant trait, however how it expresses when paired with other color & pattern genes is still being researched by breeders. While ACs and Silkies actually have the same form of fibromelanism (we think that Silkies, Svarthonas, ACs and other lesser-well-known fibromelanistic are actually all descended from the same parent breed), offspring can vary in certain crosses due to other factors. Since all ACs are homozygous, all offspring will have some form of fibromelanism, whether it's broken or not.

Yes, but...

Does all that mean I can (or can't) have an offspring--of two fibro parents--with white skin or feet? :confused:
In theory, you shouldn't be able to, but in a mixed-breed chick, other genes can influence the outcome. Keep in mind that she could've mated with both males and have a mixed-sire litter. It's happened to me before.
It'll be easier to tell once they're older, but for now, I'd assume they're not his offspring. Do you have pictures?

Question: Other than the beauty and rareness ... do you breed this breed for their dark meat?? I'm new to this breed and looking for more reasons to get involved with this breed. TIA!
Well, yes, you can sell the meat at a high price, most people right now are breeding to improve the small amount of stock we have in the U.S. at the moment, and once a breed standard is set, try to perfect them (as well expand the population.)

Hi AC peeps,

I believe you can, but much more likely 2 dads.
Black feet and toes - likely AC dad,
White feet more likely serama dad.

Unlikely BUT as AC x AC can also produce offspring with white feet, Silkie x AC could also potentially do so. Males more likely to have lighter skin too.

Taken to making green Thai curry.
Found a new paste:

FullSizeRender.jpg

My eggs from e-bay hatched. The breeder must be good, because I have a few white toenails, but only one bird has any color leakage. Quite a few have really great color, so I will be keeping some of those IMG_20190227_144231.jpg

Back
Top Bottom