The American Paint Silkie

Love that Red one! They are all beautiful.
1f60a.png

Hello Silkie friends,

I am ready to get some silkies. I am hoping to get 2-3 young pullets that are from SQ lines, and have lots of SQ potential. My husband asked that I do not do the "chick in the house thing" again, so Im hoping for some young pullets. Im not too picky about color as I am starting out fresh. I know I do love the Splash and Paints. (I really wish Judy Lee was selling birds again) I also love the self blue, porcelain, buff, red, BBS, salmon, tye-dye... heck, anything as long as she is sweet, and has really nice type.

I want to show, but also want a buddy that will sit on my lap and watch tv and be my friend. (I miss my Marbles, she would do that) Any suggestions of who would offer something like this to a girl just starting back up?

I know it is a lot to ask someone to sell SQ Pullets.... however, I can't have roosters in my neighborhood, and only have enough room for 2-3 silkies.

Thank you all.
Kristen

is there such a thing as a tri-colour silkie?? here is a photo of my roo a full post about him is here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891380/silkie-is-he-messy-paint-or-a-tri-colour#post_13589319 to sum it up, he throws paints with a 3 year old hatchery stock black hen. also -how is his conformation? is he far to 'leggy' to show?
He is better than most of the paint roosters I have seen at the shows around here, so I think I would show him. Are you considering the champagne color on his hackles and saddle the other color? I have a rooster that has red and black spots with the white background coat and I call him a tri-color. I have a blue paint rooster that has the champagne cape and I just call him a blue paint. Quite often that champagne cape, as I call it, shows up in the roosters. Someone that has more experience needs to step in here, because I hate to say something that is incorrect. But I think breeding with black will enhance the black spotting and breeding to white they are trying to clean up the champagne. White hides color so I am not sure how that works. I will be showing this guy (the blue paint) in August and I think your guy is as good as mine. :)

Are you considering the champagne color on his hackles and saddle the other color?
yeah, and it looks like the babies may be developing some of it too-hard to tell sometimes cause babies will get so dirty.
. But I think breeding with black will enhance the black spotting and breeding to white they are trying to clean up the champagne. White hides color so I am not sure how that works.
what helps to amplify the spotting (larger diameter/more coverage)? does paint to paint= more spots or ??? how can I remove up the muddy/champaign colour? is it essentially the 'brassing out' of the hackles/saddle that some black roosters get?

do I have to now breed from my black that he produced? the chicken calculator does not have paint programmed into it. Is it true white in silkies is the dominant form?

what helps to amplify the spotting (larger diameter/more coverage)? Breeding to black. does paint to paint= more spots or ???From what I have read in this thread I think breeding paint to paint increases the champagne color. But not always.. how can I remove up the muddy/champaign colour? is it essentially the 'brassing out' of the hackles/saddle that some black roosters get? I believe so.

do I have to now breed from my black that he produced?Yes the chicken calculator does not have paint programmed into it. Is it true white in silkies is the dominant form? I don't know.

The best advice I can give you is to start reading this thread from the first page. I have read the thread 5 times. It has a lot of information from folks that have more experience at it than me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom