The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Quote:
Does this occur mostly in the hackle area like in the black silkies? I've had to get rid of some otherwise excellent young cockerels this year due to off color appearing in the hackle (in blacks). It is such an issue in the blacks.

Here's a pic of the off coloring that comes up in the paints..

72077_1677079137248_1545583378_31636679_5249347_n.jpg

Quote:
The feathers are either entirely black or entirely white, not a mix of the two.

Are the quills/shafts of the feather black? Or are they white?

Black. The entire feather is black on the spots. And on the "non-spots," the entire feather is white. For the spots, a large chuck of black feathers grow in the same area.

You weren't supposed to post this! It was supposed to be a secret PM to me only

You had to tell me that. LOL and besides...they aren't mine. Mine are still too young.​

Quote:
You had to tell me that. LOL and besides...they aren't mine. Mine are still too young.

I'm teasing. I'll keep my eye on that auction that's for sure!

I got the same color pattern with Ameraucanas when I crossed a Black roo to a White hen. The little pullet I kep is really cute, I named her Sprinkles.

Sometimes paint chicks are hatched that are the smokey grayish bluish that you sometimes see on silver based white babies. I just saw a couple of them but didn't notice if they had spots. I'm thinking that they didn't but will check and let you know. My chick in the pic below has some of the bluish/grayish tint. Judy's are solidly that color with no yellow or white until the wing feathers start growing and they are stunningly white! As a comparison, the picture below the chick is of this same chick as a grown pullet.

Judy Lee has not kept those chicks, so there is no way to know at this time if they are recessive or dominant silver based white birds. I know that I will be keeping any that I have that hatch and doing a trial breeding to see what they produce.

Edited to give credit to Cat Dance Silkies as the chicks that I hatched were from her eggs!!

9079_img_0161_1.jpg

9079_pb230141.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom