The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Great information! Lots of unknowns. I will have to read this post a few times to totally comprehend it but I will take it all in. Thanks for the Genticest response, and for percentages. Those I am still learning to.

Quote:
red and black paint...like calico? that would be interesting....
melinda

Yes, but this bird has weak black. I hope to strengthen the black for a good calico. The paint does also pass blue marks on some birds, so I have some blue paint. The marks stay on the same location through a molt and don't really change with age/molt.

It is a very interesting phenomenon, and I'll be debuting my birds this summer, I think. Glad to absorb this info, though, as it helps me with mine.

Chooks Chick, your pm in box is full ....Can you please take a look see???? TRying to write you and Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Love this thread. Having bred Netherland Dwarf rabbits years ago, this reminds me so much of them. You could breed for years and get a white Dwarf out of rabbits that were a solid color. The Blue eyed whites were a totally different makeup. You had to breed one BEW to a color, then the resulting rabbit would be an agouti color with a dutch pattern,hopefully with 1 or 2 blue eyes. Then you take that rabbit to another BEW, to get a full litter of BEW. But with about 30 possible colors of N Dwarfs, it was always a genetics lesson to get what you wanted, in the correct color, then you also had to work on type at the same time. As I was winding down the Rabbit breeding, they were just getting the "broken"(paint) netherland dwarf in the US. They looked just like the paint silkies. The genes for them worked like the paint silkies, you had to do some experimenting to see what you got, them you had to really work to get them to look like good show rabbits. Reading about the paints here takes me back to the rabbit days, I can't wait to see how these progress, and to see how the develope in the future. Good luck to everyone who is working with these!

Ok time to bug you Deb & Bren, never received an email forwarded at the other email acct. you sent yesterday from Sig. And a question, for the euro paints do they have a standard for them? I am talking the color itself, not the body, we all know when we are done they will have the euro paint color with our body type/quality. Is there paints in any of the other breeds of poultry in the US? Why would the dutch males I have not have the paint gene if they are out of two dutch paints ? Is it just not in the genes on some like the lavs? Jerry stated they would produce paint when these boys were bred back to their offspring. I am hoping the dutch boy produces paint right away on the american paint hen I have, but you are telling me they may not?

PS Sorry not sure which to put this under since I am mixing American & Euro, lol

Last edited:
Have an f4 white hen that I recently started hatching from.. White roo is f3..both are from only white to white breedings.. Am getting maybe 1 of out 10 chicks that are ending up with several sporadic single black feathers on them.... Thoughts?

WHY?
he.gif
Why?
he.gif
WHY?
he.gif

Why didn't I see this before?

I saw some of these at an AUCTION!!!

I thought they were cool, but mismarked
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
th.gif

Those birds sold for 5 buck a piece!
hit.gif

Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
Hey Bob, got any pictures?

hey April... I don't and I'm down in VA working only getting home 1 or 2 days a week.. Couple more weeks till I settle on place down here​

Back
Top Bottom