The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Does anyone have a sq black rooster and a sq white rooster for sale. I keep posting in the wanted section and get no results. I would like to try to make some paint silkies.

Also, didn't read all the 52 pages, but would a paint x paint eventually just fade out or become weak - almost white?

Thanks Nancy

Why do people charge so much for them?
The color is neat and all, but it's just the color of the chicken. If there was a chicken that laid 18 karat gold eggs, 200 bucks is a reasonable price. For one chicken.

I probably do have a Black boy I can part with, but not sure about White... I'll look if you email me. I know I have too many for the summer
smile.png
but they are all cute...

Quote:

Quote:
High demand & low quantity = high price

Basic economics.

Why so some shoes or purses cost $200? I'd sure rather purchase a chicken than a purse or shoes for that kind of $$$/

I've also been wondering if there is a way to produce other paints such as buff, gray, or partridge paints?

Quote:
No, it doesn't. I have a whole passel of paint chicks from a paint male to recessive white females.

When a bird inherits recessive white from both parents, it will cover the paint spots. They will still be there, genetically, but you will have no way of knowing which white birds are paints and which ones are just plain white silkies. It could work to kick start your paint breeding program one generation but it will screw things up in future generations if you have recessive white floating around in your gene pool, or if other people who buy from you do. You should be telling buyers to avoid crossing them on white silkies, or silkies who carry white, or they will get shortchanged in the hatching end of things in future generations.

Quote:
No, it doesn't. I have a whole passel of paint chicks from a paint male to recessive white females.

When a bird inherits recessive white from both parents, it will cover the paint spots. They will still be there, genetically, but you will have no way of knowing which white birds are paints and which ones are just plain white silkies. It could work to kick start your paint breeding program one generation but it will screw things up in future generations if you have recessive white floating around in your gene pool, or if other people who buy from you do. You should be telling buyers to avoid crossing them on white silkies, or silkies who carry white, or they will get shortchanged in the hatching end of things in future generations.

I didn't say breed a white to white, I said breed a paint to white. Breeding a paint to a white gives paints birds. The Dom white turns off the switch to cover the color. Bred back to a paint will, in all likelihood, produce more paints.

Paints are not understood at this point. So making blanket statements like using recessive will turn off black is not correct since I have paints from the breeding combination and so do others. It also appears that whatever color is used will still produce paints. Experimenting at this point is the name of the game to get a better understanding. I've been raising Silkies a long time so I have a grasp on what it takes to produce nice Silkies. And to understand that whatever I and others working with this new variety learn can be relayed to others new to the color. No new variety has had a template to work from, its taken people willing to take a chance and either succeed or fail and then try again.

Two doses of recessive might turn the black off. But at this point it appears that Dom is kind and knocks the recessive back.

Back
Top Bottom