The American Paint Silkie

Is there any dutch or european lines in your paints SonRise Silkies? I reread the entire 99 pages on this thread and found the references to the "orange Frost color" It was from Dutch paint lines and only about 1 out of every 75 chicks were popping out like this for one person. He even had one in showgirl.

I'm deffinately going to be pairing mine up and hatching eggs from them even if someone says they are culls or a weird crop out.
hide.gif

I'm loving these paints! Everyone is doing a great job with them and trust me I seen a lot of paints rereading through the 99 pages of this thread
ep.gif

Quote:
AND they are beautiful! Does anything Red every show up in your offspring?

In answer to Crazy Chickens question about European bloodlines.....no I doubt that any of that would be in my Silkies, I acquired my roo from Elite Silkies .

I expect that the "frost or Champagne" color shows up in the American Silkies at the same ratio as the Euro birds. I certainly don't know that for a fact though.
Question is.........what should we do with these odd colored birds? Are they going to possibly mess up some ones White [or other] breeding later on? What does this color have to do with Paint?

Thanks

Quote:
omg cedars they are lovley do u sell eggs cedars cause next spring if u do could i buy some here in canada i don't even think that breed exist so hard to come by here so it would be so nice to get some

Quote:
I do not think you can reasonably call them paints if they have no spots. ThreeCedar's red paint has red spots on a white background. Your bird is like a smutty buff, with the "smut" replaced by white. I can certainly come up with a possibility of why you could get buff birds from a paint X black breeding. Dominant white from the paint covering all black pigment, but not covering red, both parents likely being gold, and at least one with a red dilution gene that changes the gold to buff. All that white would be black without dominant white preventing black pigment. I think that at least one of the parents was likely e^b based.

In my mind--and I really need to think it through and bounce it off the genetic gurus-- producing this colour of bird from a paint X black breeding makes it seem more likely that there are additional modifying genes associated with producing paints.

Quote:
I'm glad you posted Sonoran, do you consider mine Buff? It is for sure White and the reddish/orange is in blotches.
I also have some that look like [as some described] a white with sort of an orange cast, for lack of any other thing I'd say they looked Champagne. The color is uniform all over.

I'd sure like an opinion on these strange colors, are these "Champagne" colored birds considered undesirable? How about the Red blotchy ones like I have? They are pretty but I'm not sure they should be called Paints. I'd like to know.

Three Cedars' Red Paint is a beautiful bird and no doubt a Paint, mine don't look that way, so are ones like mine just a weird crop out and not to be spoken of as Paint?

I thank you for your knowledgeable opinion.

I just posted an explanation, but I think that the ones with lots of white are essentially very smutty buffs, but with the black "smut" prevented (or you could say replaced) by dominant white.

Are your champagne birds a similar colour to the off-coloured hackles on some paints--but the entire bird is coloured that way rather than just hackles? Like this:
20590_sam_1948.jpg

Or something different? The one I showed is one of my champagne paints. I have several, but have also gotten paints without the champagne ground colouring from them. I am speculating that those with off-coloured hackles and the champagne ground are likely gold, then cleanest paints are probably silver.

I think to be called "paint" it needs large spots of colour. A paint background is just that--a part of its heritage, but not necessarily its appearance or genotype. If a parent bird has a single comb, but the offspring does not, you don't call the offspring single combed. Likewise, if it does not have spots, it is not paint.

As for desirable or undesirable, well, different people have different things they like or dislike, and there really is no standard for paints. As far as I know, no one has even come up with a defined working standard. I think most of us assume a few things: white background, larger, bold patches of black.

Things that I don't think any of us have considered, or at least not put down in words--how much black is too much? or how little black is too little? should off-coloured hackles be a defect or a disqualification? Or even part of the variety description?

Should we also accept those with an entire champagne ground colour, and spots on it? (my vote here would be yes--I like the look). What about a white ground with red spots? Or blue? Or chocolate?

Back
Top Bottom