The American Paint Silkie

Quote:
No u don't ur joking

No I am not! I really don't have any buffs! This is from my paint pen. Paint on paint or paint on blk.
Most of the red/orange color is only on the front of it. The rest is all white.

or i think its a really cool color and for paint u mean white silkie with black dots and u came out with red

yes it's a red/orange color but it doesn't have the spots like the paints do.
I am really looking forward to see how it feathers out.
It is a very pretty color
smile.png

Quote:
I do not think you can reasonably call them paints if they have no spots. ThreeCedar's red paint has red spots on a white background. Your bird is like a smutty buff, with the "smut" replaced by white. I can certainly come up with a possibility of why you could get buff birds from a paint X black breeding. Dominant white from the paint covering all black pigment, but not covering red, both parents likely being gold, and at least one with a red dilution gene that changes the gold to buff. All that white would be black without dominant white preventing black pigment. I think that at least one of the parents was likely e^b based.

In my mind--and I really need to think it through and bounce it off the genetic gurus-- producing this colour of bird from a paint X black breeding makes it seem more likely that there are additional modifying genes associated with producing paints.

Okay so if I'm following correct the dominant white is covering the black except in the one spot on the pullet (she has a black spot on her leg) So she would be regular paint leaking buff??? I assume paint because like the other paints she does have a black spot on her leg showing the holes in dominant white. On to the red cockerel, what did you make of the close up pics on him showing some red feathers going down all the way on the shaft and others being white and then tipped with red frost?

This is the smokey color next to a paint. It does appear darker in this pic than it actually is. No black any where on the bird.

006.jpg

Quote:
It's pretty, but it's buff with dominant white (from the paints). Sometimes the genes carried by two parents combine in unexpected ways.

thats what i thought it was

From the standpoint of the standard and exhibition, a bird is the breed and variety it is based upon its appearance.

From the standpoint of breeding, you need to take into account that it may or may not be homozygous (2 copies of the same allele), and thus the offspring could vary dramatically if they do not inherit the dominant trait displayed by their parents, or if recessives carried by each parent pair up in the offspring. Add into that the many colour and pattern genes carried, and the outcome can have a huge range of possibilities.

For example, let's say that one parent is E/e+ and the other is E^R/E^Wh. Absent of genes that modify or prevent black pigment, both parents will be black. Let's say one of the offspring inherits e+ from one parent and E^Wh from the other--all of a sudden, the bird has a wheaten base, not black (E^Wh/e+). Pair that one back to the E/e+ parent and you will likely get some wildtype (e+/e+) offspring.

Anyways, that is just speculation on a single gene and what could happen. Add in all the others and ....

Back
Top Bottom