The American Paint Silkie

I was told you should always consider then possible paint carriers and not mix them with other non paints thinking you will get only solids. this is what I am doing. and when you sell them, those people should know they might carry paint as well.

Ok, I know this question has been asked before but here we go again.

I hatched out some chicks from two black hens and a paint roo. I hatched out paints, black and white chicks.

My question is, well there are several.

Are the blacks considered pure blacks? Meaning will I get 100 % blacks if I breed them together ? Or will I get mixed colors or paints if I breed them to each other? Same question about the whites?
Bred together white x white, will I get all whites?

So basically the question would be are they considered split to paint (I know they don't know enough know enough about the paints yet )

And then what about breeding a white offspring to a black offspring from the above chicks? Could you get paints with them ? White back to paint or black back to the paint parent?

So as you can see I'm a bit confused. I don't really have the room to experiment with this since I have only so many cages !! I hatched some very nice blacks and whites out of these pairs and wonder if I could or should ad them to my pure black and white breeding pairs ???? Don't want to do that if I won't get pure black and whites out of them.

Thanks for your input

Thanks,
That's what I tought. Wish they knew more about the paint gene.

I was told you should always consider then possible paint carriers and not mix them with other non paints thinking you will get only solids. this is what I am doing. and when you sell them, those people should know they might carry paint as well.

Quote:

i was wondering the same if u breed paint to black wouldnt the offspring black silkies carry the paint gene and could u not rebreed them to a white or black and get some paint offspring?

I have some solids that are from paint to splash. the splash is a very light colored bird. on these chicks, they are blueish and developing darker areas, if I didn't know they carried paint, I'd say they were very dark splash. I wonder if this isn't the paint showing up as spots on the blue?

that is the thought that they could produce paint even in solid to solid breeding.

I just hatched out 3 solid paints. I'm surprised this hasn't been tried dozens of times by now. Guess I'll try it when the time comes unless someone says I'm wasting my time.
tongue.png

Whether paint can hide or not is not unknown, although there are some who believe it can. Personally I am very skeptical of it hiding in a black bird; slightly less so of it hiding in a white bird. Is paint a separate, new gene? Or is it the same gene that produces exchequers? Is it produced by a single gene, or is it like lacing and needs multiple genes? We do too much "hatch everything in sight" and too little planned, experimental breeding and documentation. I am guilty of this, too.

Whether paint can hide or not is not unknown, although there are some who believe it can. Personally I am very skeptical of it hiding in a black bird; slightly less so of it hiding in a white bird. Is paint a separate, new gene? Or is it the same gene that produces exchequers? Is it produced by a single gene, or is it like lacing and needs multiple genes? We do too much "hatch everything in sight" and too little planned, experimental breeding and documentation. I am guilty of this, too.

Of course it will be months before I can experiment and in the mean time I'll keep following this thread and see what others are doing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom