The American Paint Silkie

Hello,
I know this question has been asked before but here it is again. I just sent some paint eggs to a friend and also had some paint eggs sent from a fellow BYC member to her. I told her that they paints could be shown but I couldn't remember under what class?

Thanks

I don't show myself, but I believe the class would be AOV, (Any Other Variety).

This guy hatched out from a paint and recessive white breeding and was yellow with a very faint buff tinge to him but no spots. His spots started coming in around 6 weeks old followed by the red / mahogany at around 9 weeks. He's out of Catdance lines and will be 5 months old as of May 10th.

Basically I'm trying to decide which way I'm going to go with him- he will be bred back to both black and paint hens but then perhaps a ginger red or red pyle project?

*Please excuse his dirty feet -he's been free ranging this morning and we had rain last night*
and below at 7 weeks old- LOVE this guy
love.gif

Last edited:
I had 3 of mine do that... gave them away as pets because there didn't seem to be any interest in them. Every one was male, so don't know if only the males get that color or what.... oh well... they were cool but not enough pen space to keep everybody to experiment with!

Kind of funny...I took a pic of some of my newest and when I looked at this avatar I thought "now who got my pictures" Here is my pic, look a lot like Twin Maples pics [sort of]

They were playing in the water so have very wet feet.

Anyhow I have question for AFChick.......does the color come from the beginning of the birds feather, I mean does it start at the skin the way the black feathers do?
I have one colored like that and his feathers are that color but his are white at the flesh, sort of like they are dipped in color.
Your bird is very pretty, very nice. I wonder how many others have had this and didn't keep them?
I kept mine just because it was so unexpected and unique.
Thanks for looking and for any replys.

I had 3 of mine do that... gave them away as pets because there didn't seem to be any interest in them. Every one was male, so don't know if only the males get that color or what.... oh well... they were cool but not enough pen space to keep everybody to experiment with!

I've seen a few hens like this but with red on their chest area (not wings) which I *think* would be correct for red pyle- wish I could remember the person who had them now
hmm.png
. I'm keeping him regardless- DH went out yesterday with our youngest DS and bought my Mother's Day presents: fencing and a load of building materials and coupons for free labor
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

This guy hatched out from a paint and recessive white breeding and was yellow with a very faint buff tinge to him but no spots. His spots started coming in around 6 weeks old followed by the red / mahogany at around 9 weeks. He's out of Catdance lines and will be 5 months old as of May 10th.

Basically I'm trying to decide which way I'm going to go with him- he will be bred back to both black and paint hens but then perhaps a ginger red or red pyle project?

*Please excuse his dirty feet -he's been free ranging this morning and we had rain last night*
and below at 7 weeks old- LOVE this guy
love.gif

Who put a red jacket on that chicken???
gig.gif
Just kidding! He's very unique - I've never seen a paint come out like that. Pretty!

Anyhow I have question for AFChick.......does the color come from the beginning of the birds feather, I mean does it start at the skin the way the black feathers do?
I have one colored like that and his feathers are that color but his are white at the flesh, sort of like they are dipped in color.
Your bird is very pretty, very nice. I wonder how many others have had this and didn't keep them?
I kept mine just because it was so unexpected and unique.
Thanks for looking and for any replys.
Thank you he's a sweetie
big_smile.png
No telling how many have been given away - With his paint markings, the entire feather is black to the skin. The majority of his red markings are on the feather tips only , however, he has few red feathers in his crest that are completely red.

Back
Top Bottom