The American Paint Silkie

I hope to set up a paint pen in the spring I have one paint pullet and just hatched a paint chick sex unknown at this point. I was thinking of including my black roo a black hen the paint pullet the chick I also have a white hen and cockerel not sure if I should include the white birds or not.
I would recommend for your paint pen, do not put in your black hen if the roo covering this pen is black. it will only confuse who has the paint gene when they hatch. if your unsexed chick turns out to be a cockeral, then use him on your solids, black or white. i just hatched out 10 chicks yesterday 6 spotted and 4 solid blue/black. i know these solids all can carry paint but if I had a solid black roo in there as well, i'd never know.

It's been awhile since I've taken some new pictures of my paints. I have several growing out nicely. I have some younger ones to get some pictures of still, but here are the older ones... I'm in the process of building more pens so I can divide them up into smaller groups and separate the showgirls.

It's been awhile since I've taken some new pictures of my paints. I have several growing out nicely. I have some younger ones to get some pictures of still, but here are the older ones... I'm in the process of building more pens so I can divide them up into smaller groups and separate the showgirls.

luv them, beautfull paints !

Thanks guys! The babies are going to be two weeks old this Saturday, and they're all doing great. I need to get more pictures of them. They're starting to get wings and little tails, and Bobbin is such a good mom. Love your paints, Shayna! :)

Thanks Paulajon and Debbienmousey!
smile.png

Debbienmousey - you will be delighted as you watch those little paint chicks grow! It's amazing to see how those little tiny black dots turn into huge spots as they feather.

I'm sure I will Shayna, I can't wait to see them when they're adults, though I'm loving them as babies of course :).

Hope nobody minds me posting this here, I also make a thread about it in the emergencies/diseases section, but I thought I'd ask your opinions. My four-week old Partridge chick has some sort of swelling/scabbing/growth on the inside of his upper beak and his left earlobe. We're been swabbing the thing in his mouth with coconut oil and started swabbing iodine on his earlobe today (not much at a time). I don't know if it's fowl pox or what, never had fowl pox in my Silkies before.

One of my poor Paint babies has a scab/swelling on his face too. It has appeared in the past two days. Swabbed it with diluted iodine as well.

Here is my post if you care to read all the details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-upperbeak-ear-fowl-pox-a-growth-what-is-this

Thanks,
Hannah.

I would recommend for your paint pen, do not put in your black hen if the roo covering this pen is black. it will only confuse who has the paint gene when they hatch. if your unsexed chick turns out to be a cockeral, then use him on your solids, black or white. i just hatched out 10 chicks yesterday 6 spotted and 4 solid blue/black. i know these solids all can carry paint but if I had a solid black roo in there as well, i'd never know.
Thanks for your suggestions that makes sense I hadn't thought of the black to black mixed in with the splits, I wouldn't know what combo they were carrying.

I have a 'paint' question.
I bought some paint eggs off ebay but only one hatched. It is about 2 weeks old and does not have any spots yet--and it has a very light beak, most cream colored. Do paint chicks hatch out with spots or do they develop as they get older? Never had any before. Thanks for any info. Babecknmama

I have had chicks hatch without spots but they never get great spots compared to those that hatch with spots. as those without spots at hatch, usually just alittle here and there as they get older. the light beak, hmmmm. don't know about that one.
I have a 'paint' question.
I bought some paint eggs off ebay but only one hatched. It is about 2 weeks old and does not have any spots yet--and it has a very light beak, most cream colored. Do paint chicks hatch out with spots or do they develop as they get older? Never had any before. Thanks for any info. Babecknmama

Back
Top Bottom