The American Paint Silkie

This was a breeder's auction. I checked out their website before bidding.

Will this chick carry a paint gene? If so I could put it in with other paints couldn't I. The chick has blue skin, 5 toes, and silkie feathering--just a yellow beak.

if it is from a paint parent, it should carry paint (we think- there is still alot to learn about this gene)
pair it with solid black or white and if you get any paints, then you know for sure it carries paint. the light beak maybe some other gene in there.
This was a breeder's auction. I checked out their website before bidding.

Will this chick carry a paint gene? If so I could put it in with other paints couldn't I. The chick has blue skin, 5 toes, and silkie feathering--just a yellow beak.

Thanks for the information--will do that. I am trying to get my paint project started, but not having much luck so far. After only 1 egg hatched from the ones I bought, I prepaid for 6 paint chicks from the same breeder. But have not gotten them yet. Waiting...

Luv your paint babies!! Babecknmama

I am just getting into Paints. I Have a Paint pair but will be splitting the up. At this time I dont have anything except a white cockerel to breed the Paint hen back to. I hatched a few eggs from the Paint to Paint breeding and got 2 paints but one died, I also have 2 black and 2 white chicks. One of the Whites has bad pigment so will be culled. Can anyone tell me how they are breeding the splits back to paint or ? I Dont know wether to keep them or pass them along.

don't discard your white babies just yet, they can get spots later although from what I have seen in my own birds, they are not the bold spots. wait until they are 6 months old before you decide. on the black, I might breed that back to a paint if the type is good enough. if not, I would discard it
I am just getting into Paints. I Have a Paint pair but will be splitting the up. At this time I dont have anything except a white cockerel to breed the Paint hen back to. I hatched a few eggs from the Paint to Paint breeding and got 2 paints but one died, I also have 2 black and 2 white chicks. One of the Whites has bad pigment so will be culled. Can anyone tell me how they are breeding the splits back to paint or ? I Dont know wether to keep them or pass them along.

here is one of my pullets that I showed this past weekend. she took best non standard variety all bird competing and best of variety.
her name is Buttons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom